1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cherry MX Board Silent Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 25 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'd love to see this in a G80-1800 layout.

3. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

The compact? That would be nice to see!

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes, I was still using my old Packard Bell keyboard (came with first computer in early '96) until it finally died in ~2007!

As for PS/2 vs. USB... I prefer interrupt based keyboards when possible as I have had a couple of occasions where a system has been so heavily loaded that it fails to respond to a USB keyboard.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

How much???!

Feature list does seem a little sparse given the price tag. Did they bump the price assuming the retro look might not net as many purchases?

6. davido_labido

I wouldn't mind the price or the lack of features if the keyboard didn't flex or have thin plastic. It just feels cheap which is inexcusable when it is so expensive!

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So it's a bog standard G80-3000 chassis populated with their new switches, and they want £125?

They can eff right off.

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Yeah there are no excuses for poor build quality at that price point. Seems particularly odd to me given they make the switches themselves so should in theory have the best margins.

I think I would be looking for some media keys at least, since for a board that big they may as well be there. Being able to control volume easily etc. like you can on say a K70 is fairly convenient. I'm a sucker for backlighting but could well lose it for the sake of an aesthetic.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I like my G80-3000 with non-silent black switches. They're actually pretty quiet already if you can get used to not bottoming out.
    The case does indeed feel very flimsy but in practice it's actually been solid in all important respects. I quite like the understated retro look of it and the size isn't really a problem if you have the desk space.

That said I did pay £15 for mine in new condition (albeit in qwertz). Not sure I'd be so happy at £125.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

First one to produce the retro look with braided cable, backlighting and media/function keys wins.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Funny thing, that was why I liked the early Corsair keyboards. I grew up on a computer that was brushed aluminum with black plastic for the keyboard. To me, THAT was a nostalgic retro look.

I was eagerly waiting the day they updated their boards to use microswitches on ALL the keys... so of course they stopped offering them in uncolored aluminum at the same time they started using microswitches across the board(pun totally intended). They broke my little nerdling heart.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Especially from a company that knows how to do it better...
    http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/cherry-mx-board-6-pro-keyboard-red-switch-uk-nkr.asp

You could beat someone to death with it and not leave a scratch on the keyboard, plus it also has backlighting and doesn't really cost all that much more.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Which explains the "old" design mocked in this article...

They sell G80 keyboards by the shedload, they're the de-facto standart office keyboard.
    They may be plasticky, but they live forever in a heavy typing environment.

Wouldn't spend the money on one though.

14. David

I'm not doubting the G80 boards. I've owned a few, including a couple of 3000s - they're lovely to type on, but they're also very cheap - my beige one was £47 new and my black one was £41 new.

15. davido_labido

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I used to use a G80-3000 at work. It was fine, but it felt cheap and flimsy. It WAS cheap though, so it was forgivable. Now it is over double the price, it is inexcusable.

16. David

On the plus side, the lack of a mid plate means PCB mounts, making this a useful donor board in the future. :D

17. davido_labido

haha, my thoughts exactly. I am thinking about 'liberating' the switches and popping them in a different board to use as they do feel rather nice!

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Just discovered mine were G83's not G80.

Still theyre cheap and last forever :D

Tags: Add Tags