1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cloudflare hit by major security vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Feb 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

How would I go about checking to see if "secure" sites, I have given personal information to, use Cloudflare hosting?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a list of them here, but bear in mind not all the sites listed may have been affected - some may only be using Cloudflare on certain subdomains and not others (like using it as a CDN for images but sending important traffic straight to the real server.)

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Well, no one uses Cloudflare hosting, because Cloudflare doesn't offer hosting. But you almost certainly visit a few sites that use the services Cloudflare DOES offer. Because darn near everyone uses Cloudflare. Everything from Fitbit to 4chan.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Point of fact, m'learned friend: Cloudflare does offer hosting, 'cos it's a content delivery network (CDN) at its heart. You can't host an entire website on it, to be sure, but its primary function is to take commonly-requested static files on your host and move 'em onto Cloudflare servers throughout the world as a means of A) making things faster for visitors from afar and 2) saving you bandwidth.

Sure, you wouldn't describe it as a 'web host,' but equally to say it doesn't offer hosting ain't quite right neither.

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I stand corrected. Point grudgingly conceded.

Incidentally, I was swinging back by to add a Github link where someone is trying to assemble a list of everyone using Cloudflare. (As well as a Cliffs Notes version that just lists the Alexa top 10000 sites, since no one's got time to read all five million URLs).
    https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare/blob/master/README.md

7. Gareth Halfacree

8. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I... yes, I do. My only excuse is that it was very late for me.

Excuse me while I hang my head in abject shame.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yeah, we were watching this unfold at work!

10. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

At that point though, there's a good argument to be made to just change all your affected passwords.

...I have over 600 of the bloody things to check, and at least 100 to change...

urgh:wallbash: