1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 32" hdtv or 27" tft

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul2011, 20 Jul 2010.

1. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

Hello, firstly id like to say ive been a long time reader of these forums and greatly impressed by how friendly and helpful everyone here is :thumb:

so i decided id sign up and ask my first question

At the moment i have 2 19" tft's side by side, i want to replace 1 and go a lot bigger. My dilemma is i would only use the new screen to game on (mounting my old 19" vertically to view the internet, write letters in office etc).

My budget is around £250-£300 and i was wondering if a 27" lcd monitor would be better than a full 1080p 32" lcd tv

thanks in advance (wont be able to reply until around midnight due to overtime at work)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The question that's important is which one has a better range of inputs for your needs? If you only want it as a monitor I'd buy that, otherwise I'd consider a 1080p TV.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I used a 32" 1080p tv as my general screen for a while, and i didnt find it pleasant. I think its that the resolution was too low for a screen that size when your sitting close to it (although i imagine there will be the same problems with monitors of that size + resolution)

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

32" monitor at 1920x1080? That will be epicly bad. Resolution is far too low. Get a 27" monitor.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I don't think a low pixel density is too bad, I had 1920x1200 on a 26" LCD and it looked great to me.

1920x1080 on 32" might be pushing it though.. Try both, return one?

I wouldn't go for the TV because of the glossy factor.. hate that.

6. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

Thank you for the replies, as I said I'll keep one of my 19" tft's for general web browsing etc and use the big screen to game on.

I do have a 42" in the front room with a xbox 360 hooked up this looks great and I sit around 6 feet from the screen, sometimes closer due to bad eyes.

I have a desk with a lot of depth so the monitor/tv wouldn't be too close, I was just wondering if the picture in games would be just as good on a hdtv as it would a pc monitor?

Thank you again.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Depends on what kind of TV you get. Generally you'll find your budget will bring better quality for smaller screens, but that's just a general approximation.

8. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Not all TV's are glossy. My Sony is matt.