1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 320.18 WHQL Nvidia drivers unsafe/unstable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Jun 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I went back to this tonight after suffering the same issue with Tomb Raider that I got in the older drivers.

I did some searching on Youtube and it seems to be a bug in the game, not any driver. Of course I've got my fan profile running with A/B just to make sure the driver doesn't try stopping my fans (like an old one I had did which killed my GTX 280 :( )

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Reverting back to 314.22 has solved my Planetside 2 crashes, which is a plus.

Problem is I have a GTX 780 arriving tomorrow :/

3. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

My 770 arrived with a disc with the 320.08 drivers on it, works a treat so far.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Useful to know, hoping the same for the 780!

5. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

You have to feel sorry for the people that have bought a GTX 770/780 as the only driver available on the Nvidia site for these cards is the 320.18, if I had spent all that money on one of those cards I would definitely not risk installing that driver, frankly, this driver should be removed from the downloads but that would be a huge admission of failure on Nvidia's behalf and would leave no available driver for the GTX 770/780, very embarrassing!

I've bought Nvidia for years but I'm getting really fed up with all the drivers issues like TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) "Nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered" this has been happening for years and never been fixed and there is very little feedback from Nvidia when these problems occur, they often just say that "They can't reproduce the same problems" and even said that people that have overclocked cards from aftermarket manufacturers should contact them for help/advice which almost seems like passing the buck?

I'm sure Nvidia are working to fix these issues but it keeps happening and it's really not good enough, you have to wonder just how much testing is done before a new driver is released as it often feels that Nvidia release a driver and let their customers do the testing for them and then they attempt to fix any problems, many Nvidia users will stick with them but many others (see Nvidia forum) myself included are seriously considering AMD but as Nvidia have such a large part of the GPU market they probably won't even notice a few less sales here and there.

6. Morton_G91

Morton_G91 What's a Dremel?

im on 780. got no problems what so ever. But some of my clan mates are having loads of problems in games etc. BF3 Especially. This Direct X error it kicks out. another member had his 480 die on him. Just got me thinking this driver may be the issue!

7. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

I'm not scaremongering but there are a lot of people having issues some serious with the 320.18 driver and the Nvidia forum is really fired up over it lots of issues with BF3, obviously as this driver is the only one available for the 780 you don't have much choice but if you've had no issues hopefully you'll be alright.

8. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to brave it here... I installed 320.18 and it fixed problems for me personally. My copy of Tomb Raider now crashes less often, as does Shift 2: Unleashed (which prior to the update, didn't launch properly at all). I've yet to play BF3 on it though, I shall make time soon to test it fully.

I noticed fewer crashes too when I changed a setting in the main NVidia control panel. I forced the card to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and it's been behaving much better since.

I'm convinced in my mind that it's down to these new boost technologies, developers can't get the games to run with it properly as power saving and boost modes are confusing each other and causing crashes... I could just be turning into a horrible, paranoid internet troll...

EDIT: Would test it on BF3, however I have yet to re-install it after my last re-install of Windows 7. I may have to wait about a day, due to slow internet (300KB/s average download).

Last edited: 20 Jun 2013
  9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

320.49 is out, they claim:

10. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Umm, Who's going to try it first then :worried: Actually as the performance results for Nvidia drivers varies so much from user to user if your having real problems it's worth a try, hell, it might really fix something :clap:

It's only a beta version but some are claiming it fixes some issues, also it's claimed that the HD Audio driver can cause problems so don't install it unless you really need it, it's best to choose the drivers you want installed rather than let Nvidia do it and install 3d drivers and things you don't need, less installed the less to go wrong.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2013
  11. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Not me, I've been fine with the 320.08 disc that shipped with my 770.

12. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

I have installed them, havent tested any games yet though.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm waiting for feedback from the early adopting guinea pigs before I install it.

Only really playing bf3 right now and the older driver I have is fine.

14. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Yes I'm waiting to see fb but it will probably be good and bad as usual :rolleyes:
    I don't really have any gaming issues (not played BF3 yet though which causes problems for some) just the usual long term "driver crashed and recovered" problem and it's unlikely that this beta will fix that old issue so I don't really see any reason to install it, sticking to 314.22 for a while yet ;)

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I took these (320.18) off again the other night. All I can say is THANK GOD for that wee LCD temp screen I bought !! My top 670 was reaching 92c in Metro LL :jawdrop:

It wasn't all down to the driver. Installing a H100 and then slowing the fans down hasn't helped the air situ in my PC so I fitted a 92mm exhaust and have sped up my PCIE fan too. Managed to get the temps down to 82c max, and that includes this hot weather we're having.

But 320.14 did drop the temps by 4c alone, so I think .18 was a bit dodgy.

I'm going to try the new beta later as I'm getting bad stuttering on certain parts of Metro. I had it during the battle with the ugly thing boss man (underground with the water).

16. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

IIRC the people on the Nvidia forum claiming their card had been bricked was because it got fried, you could have dodged a bullet there :eeek:

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Been gaming on the new 320.49 drivers today no problems as yet :thumb:

Those temps on the 670 aren't very good mine never reach more than 69c in Heaven benchmark and less in games Metro, Crysis, etc

Last edited: 1 Jul 2013
  18. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Did you have any problems that the 320.49 drivers have fixed?

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Tbh I've had no problems on any of the drivers so no

20. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Me same. Not had any problems on my 680 with the infamous 320.18 but one of my friends had his BF3 corrupted and CS:G0. He has GTX 660. We're both on the new beta driver now.