1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft, Google boost bounty payouts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Missing a zero...?

It still all boils down to who is quicker: the bug hunters or the 1337 hackers? No amount of money will change that dynamic.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes. Yes, I am. I'll go fix, ta!
    Except the point of a bug bounty is that you can tempt the 1337 h4xx0rz as well. What's more fun: hacking Google's homepage to say CRASH OVERRIDE WOZ ERE and risking arrest, or telling Google how to hack the homepage and walking away with tens of thousands of dollars?

The bigger risk is that while Google will give you $31,337, A. N. Other National Security Outfit will give you $500,000 for the same vulnerability.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Surely you can't be talking about state-sponsored hacking? Because the Trumpster says it doesn't happen, and if he says it then it must be true. You're in danger of being branded as fake news and being banned from White House press briefings :D