1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel responds to Vault 7 UEFI malware with Chipsec module

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

" without suggesting - given previous claims that national security agencies routinely intercept hardware deliveries in transit in order to inject malicious code - exactly how one would be sure of that fact.

I would think you'd have a database somewhere with hashes of said firmware so you can compare. Problem being that of course they could intercept your link to said database and inject a fake hash to make it seem OK.
    So perhaps you need to go to another country like Russia and consult a DB there to be sure. While simultaneously Russians would go to another country to make sure their government didn't mess with their systems.
    Anyway - it's good news for the airlines I guess :)

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Its really rubbish that EFI has poor security (I guess if you reflash the bios and it fails to let you then you mite have a compromise bios)

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is any of this an indication that tech companies are less willing to cooperate on backdoors and access than they once were?