1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Crosshair VI Hero Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Mar 2017.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Right now this board is too good for the overclocking capabilities of the Ryzen CPU's.

...It should come in to its own with the 1st or 2nd refresh of Ryzen's next year I guess.

3. Cr@1g

Cr@1g What's a Dremel?

OK, what are we comparing this to? Why is there only one benchmark to view per test? Surely you it would have similar spec Intel boards in there for reference?

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Has it actually been established yet if the current Ryzen oc capabilities are limited by the CPU or the horribly immature bios versions plaguing all AM4 boards?

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is a motherboard review, so it makes sense to compare like-for-like products, or in other words only varying the component being reviewed. If this is the first Ryzen board to be reviewed then it makes sense that there aren't any other points of comparison yet.

I mean, you could compare a Ryzen 1800X, 2400MHz RAM and this board against an Intel setup with a 5820K, the same RAM and an X99 board, but what would that tell you about this particular X370 board? Not a lot, as any variation in performance between the two setups could be down to a number of factors.

Incidentally, the specs on page one state that this is a Z170 chipset :D Might want to fix that :)

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

From what I have seen so far I would stick my neck out and say the CPU. They are doing a new revision in 2018, I expect those to be better for overclocking.

Still, 4ghz isn't a bad start really. Especially when most 1700s seem to be hitting those speeds.

7. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

How would that help anyone comparing apples to oranges? Obviously BT will flesh out the results as they get more boards to review. How Intel motherboards perform is irrelevant when you're looking at Ryzen, and for the CPU comparisons look elsewhere.

8. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

Pedantry maybe, but according to Silicon Lottery, only 26% of 1700s are stable at 4ghz, though 77% will hit 3.9GHz.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've not seen an awful lot of them in use TBF. The ones I have seen have been good for 4ghz though :)

I guess once everything settles down (bios, ram support, bugs, crashes etc) we can get a better idea.

10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

This. As always with new launches we don't have any comparison numbers with the first motherboard review. We'll have the next one out asap but it hasn't helped that the whole Ryzen launch hasn't been problem free. Lots and lots of teething problems.

12. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Oh my goodness look at all those beautiful rear USB ports!

That's one trend that can take a hike, all the bloody ports are missing nowadays. Would rather not use hubs for mundane things that I want plugged in all the time.

13. Panos

Panos Minimodder

A small FYI. This board has the tendency to burn X CPUs by overvolting them while at stock speeds. No need to overclock them.

Tags: Add Tags