1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CIG shifts Star Citizen to Vulkan, drops DirectX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Panos

Panos Minimodder

At least their Mantle code, isn't going to be wasted.........

lol. More excuses for more delays.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

While I welcome the move to Vulkan this is getting a bit silly now. What next? A move to idTech 6? Bring in Unity? Ask Sabre to deliver the networking backend? They're switching technologies/engines/APIs for each development sprint it seems...

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems logical not to restrict your market to an API that only address a quarter of the your customers.

Why more developers don't do the same is beyond me.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't think you've really taken the time to understand the two changes (I assume) you are referring too.

Neither are a great deal of work. The Lumberyard change was done in a few days.

When it comes to API, all that has happened here is that instead of eventually moving to DX12 they are going with Vulcan, neither of which has been yet implemented anyway.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Is this just an excuse to draw the development out longer and keep that sweet early access moolah rolling in forever?

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

At this point they might as well go ` yeah this isn't working , lets write our own engine`

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You think they will make less cash in early access than by having a fully finished, functional game with microtransactions?

Why would they do that?

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

@perplekks45 - As Parge said. The switch from their own fork of CryEngine to Amazon Lumberyard (Which was forked from the SAME build of CryEngine!) took 2 guys 1 day to complete.

@Harlequin - CIG's build of CryEngine (now Lumberyard) is 75-80% their own work now anyway.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's Star Citizen. There's already plenty of transactions...

They're just not very micro!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/The-Completionist-Digital

You know they're laughing all the way to the bank when you can buy an $18,000 version of the game!

But at least for your 18 grand you get every bit of content... up until 2014 and a bit of 2015. Come on it's not as if they can give away content for free.

And people complain about paid DLC!

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

In general, yes.
    In Star Citizen's case, probably no.

12. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Don't they ALREADY have a functional game with microtransactions? As near as I can tell, they have a product they are selling, and they describe it as early-access fundraising for publicity purposes.
    The game is launched, and it makes the company over a million dollars a month.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Actually, it's nearer $3m

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Regardless of whether or not the game ever actually becomes a complete, on-the-shelf package or not, it's certainly going to go down as one of the most divisive projects in history.

I have no problem saying I don't agree with the approach CIG are taking, but at the same time I really don't care if someone wants to spend £100/1000/5000 on a space ship to fly around in game - it's neither my money nor my business.

I just hope it doesn't set a precedent for other developers to demand hundreds of millions of dollars, and years of peoples time to playtest and bug-report, to create a finished product... otherwise boundary-pushing games will happen as often complete solar eclipses.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I took quite a keen interest in SC a couple of years back, but for me personally it's got to the point where I'm quite happy to park my interest until such time as the game is complete and fully released. I really hope that SC is amazing, but I'm not emotionally invested anymore.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

They should have done it from the start , when no game engine would work the way they wanted it to