1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News JEDEC announces DDR5, NVDIMM-P standards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh I missed this! At least we're getting DDR5. At the time of DDR4 launch it wasn't even on the cards. Details pretty thin other than 'it's gonna be double and better' though

3. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

OK, so I'm going to be that guy that's asking a dumb question. Don't we already have DDR5 and 5X in GPUs? What's the diff besides that one is for GPU and one is for CPU?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

GDDR and DDR are two separate standards (though they're both from JEDEC, and they both share certain features - including both being types of double data rate dynamic memory.) Basically, GDDR is a standards family for SGRAM (Synchronous Graphics Random Access Memory) and DDR for SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory.) What makes good SGRAM doesn't make good SDRAM, and vice-versa - hence the two different standards.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

GDDR5/GDDR5X is based on DDR3.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

DDR targets low latency, GDDR targets high bandwidth.

With DDR you want the ability to move small amounts of data really fast, with GDDR you want the ability to move large amounts of data (textures, etc, etc) quickly.