1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EKWB announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti full-coverage blocks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't get it...

EK announced weeks ago the Titan X (Pascal version) blocks which already are in stock at various stores around the world fit the 1080ti.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I guess it's another line that they can sell easily, with slight modification. Who wants to have a TITAN labelled block on a 1080 Ti? Come on... ;) :D

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Jesus FC blocks are expensive thesedays..

They used to be £55/60 which was a lot, £100+ is just a rip off

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's the EK premium and also gpu blocks are very low volume so costs always higher.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not only that it used to be 1.45 Euro to the pound now its 1.16, Brexit!

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup. Fury X blocks were £130, for that reason. Oh yeah, then another £30 for the back plate.

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Everything watercooling is expensive nowadays - A couple of us were talking about it not long ago. The difference in cost of manufacture vs cost of sale for a DDC or D5 most be astronomical...

9. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Knowing how much some of the parts cost to make compared to sale price is crazy. However, so is the time and effort that is spent on getting the blocks right. Visiting EK was an eye opener. It was far more impressive than I expected and the folks there really do care about their job. I buy as much stuff as I am given and I don't regret any penny spent :D

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Oh I don't mind so much with blocks - I've done CNC and manual machining for years so I know the work that goes into something like that. It was more a specific pop at pump manufactures really haha.

EK are for watercooling what Hope are for bike parts - yes they are expensive, but that's because they invest properly in their tools, materials and quality control. I've had cheap blocks with horribly cut micro channels, poorly threaded tops, shoddy acrylic glue and cheap o-rings, but every EK block I've had (both CPU and GPU) have been faultless... Can't claim that for some of the XSPC products I've worked with!

11. Vault-Tec

Don't get conned on the pumps. I bought a pump for a tenner from HK and it's been in service since November last year and hasn't missed a beat. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the shaft and bearing were both ceramic, and the motor on the arse end was very powerful.

12. davido_labido

A lot of the pumps are made in the same places. However, some are tested far more than others ;)

13. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've used and own many EK blocks, never had an issue with them, I rate them highly.

Of recent though, I've started buying Heatkiller IV's as I think they look that bit 'sexier'

[​IMG]

14. davido_labido

aaah, reminds me of my favorite aquacomputer block.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Aqua Computer and all the rest really fell by the wayside. EK are the only ones to really strike it big.

16. Vault-Tec

Watercool (who make Heatkiller) make my fave gear. I've got one of their Heat Transformers (it's like a rad only different) and it's the Noctua of rads. Absolutely beautifully made and can hold 6 bar.