1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia announces Volta-based Tesla V100 card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 May 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It;s important to mention this is if those FLOPs can be packed into 4x4 matrix-FMA operations, which is what the new Tensor Core components of the SMs perform. If you cannot pack your operations thus, you are limited to a 'mere' 15TFLOP FP (8.5TFLOP DP and 30TFLOP half-precision and). Which is still around 50% more than GP100.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's not like Nvidia can't afford it, especially given what these are going to sell for, but I wonder what the yields are on a chip that bloody mahusive!

Also, to quote someone on another tech site:

The more time that goes by without AMD jumping up and down shouting "look what Vega can do!", the more I get worried... I mean, they were quite happy to release performance slides for Ryzen showing how they've caught up to Intel, why are they not doing the same this time?

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nvidia shows us Volta die and specs, AMD shows us Vega logo...

And says it's really good or something :D

Edit. Or was it "The performance is nice".

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Lol, I still feel duped having watched that whole live stream where they unveiled the logo:sigh:

Don't get me wrong, I still kind of want a Vega card or two, mostly because the two best ultrawide screens on the market use freesync rather than g-sync plus some competition is always good to slow down inflation of prices.
    But at this rate (June 2015 Fury X launch, early 2017 logo of its successor unveiled) we will be on the Volta successor before Vega is in stock at stores.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I thought I'd made that clear with the bit on the compute performance improvements over Pascal and Maxwell in a later paragraph, but I've gone back and made it more obvious - thanks!

7. rollo

rollo Modder

If Volta launches before Vega AMD would be laughed out of the door.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

AMD may come to regret certain jibes.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Nvidia are so far ahead of AMD when it comes to AI/deep learning that it isn't even funny. Maybe the ultra high end stuff for training deep nets is always going to have limited scope, but when you have developers doing all their work using CUDA, Will they all bother to get the same systems working/optimised with other cards?