1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple unveils 18-core, Radeon Pro Vega-powered iMac Pro

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jun 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

When I read things from Apple such as
    '(...) This will be our fastest and most powerful Mac ever, which brings workstation-class computing to iMac for the first time'
    and
    "iMac Pro is a huge step forward and there’s never been anything like it."
    I can't help but roll my eyes. (Also, no idea why you used ' and ").

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

To be fair, there's never been anything like an 18-core 36-thread 128GB-DDR4-ECC 4TB-SSD 11 T/FLOPS 16GB GPU all-in-one built around a pro-grade 5K monitor...

...mostly 'cos companies don't really like throwing out pro-grade 5K monitors when they upgrade workstations as part of the regular update cycle.

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

but can it play Crysis?

I'm sorry I'll see myself out.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I dunno, but it comes in bad-ass black. It's got to be powerful when it comes in bad-ass black, right?

6. Gareth Halfacree

That's easy: no Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs founds Apple: huge success!
    Steve Jobs gets kicked out of Apple: huge failure!
    Steve Jobs goes back to Apple: huge success!
    Steve Jobs dies: huge failure from a PC perspective, albeit one which absolutely bleedin' prints money thanks to the success of the i-things.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Apple began to abandon the professional market once they realised they could make more money selling annual upgrades of cheap phones. The move away from PowerPc was the first sign.

This started under Jobs' watch and has continued under Tim Cook, in Apple parlance 'Pro' no longer means intended for professional use, it means 'more expensive version of mass market electronic device,' Like the difference between a VW Golf S and a Golf SE. Sure it's nicer, but it's not exactly the R18.

Having said all that, I would still pay good money for a general issue X86-64 version of Mac OS. My own hardware and Mac OS convenience without having to resort to Hackintosh madness.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Indeed, people won't be too happy with Apples suggestion to treat a £5k - £10k PC as a disposable device with annual mini upgrades that toss out a random useful feature in pursuit of making it 0.5mm thinner...

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I think the answer is that people keep buying them.

When the sales stop (as they rather emphatically did with the current Mac Pro) Apple is more than self aware enough to change direction (see upcoming Modular Mac Pro), but they have to be given a reason to do so.