1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft includes Windows XP in its June Patch Tuesday releases

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jun 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Microsoft's always had a wrong-headed approach to security (IMO), if you want a secure system you don't go around enabling every feature and service going just in case someone want to use it and you want to make life a little easier.

It's also good to know the NSA and GCHQ are working tirelessly to defend us from cyber attack.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Is the KB*** number of this one known and does it exist for Vista as wel?

Just installed the WannaCry-ones and the "auto-update" didn't find it (or anything else) :rolleyes: , had to download and install it manually.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hence why Microsoft have switched to this model for Windows 10.
    XP was a fine OS... a decade ago. Now it is merely a liability clinging to existence only by the laziness of others failing to update their software.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Nah, they haven't quite switched to the Arch model yet. When every other update breaks something in a more or less terminal fashion, or if you are away for two months and come back home, update and find the system now flat out won't boot... then Microsoft are following the Arch model. :D :lol:

I like Arch, but it goes nowhere near any of my production systems (which are either CentOS, Debian or Ubuntu Server depending on a) age of hardware and b) purpose of the machine because in about four years of using Arch, I've had updates break something to the point where I'm swearing at it still after two days... oh, probably once a quarter. Maybe I'm just (un)lucky? The only times I've had anything go amazingly awry with CentOS/Debian was CUDA related.

Yep.

I like(d) XP (I've even still got a couple of VMs of it for some programs that just won't play ball any other way) but after the VM is installed and SP3 on, that VM never sees the internet again. I'd never willingly run XP on a production system now.

I'd really like Microsoft to just say, "That's it, no more. We've given you lots of chances, if you haven't taken them, tough."

...but I doubt they will, for all sorts of reasons. Just imagine if Apple or Google did that... oh, wait, they do... with way shorter notice, as well.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

This....only worse:

use tailormade sofware that only works on that specific OS AND specific hardware

But you're not chucking away a machine that's been tailor-made for you that cost a few millions just because it's computer starts limping.

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Let's be honest here. The newest rounds of XP updates aren't for the benefit of the massive user base.
    They are doing this because every time they do, it makes headlines, and someone quotes their press release about how the patch deals with government hacking of individual computers, or governments hoarding security vulnerabilities without disclosing them(and then failing to keep their database secure).

They are patching XP so that someone will pass them the microphone and they can remind people their governments are anti-security and it has a directly measurable effect on their lives. It is actually kind of brilliant.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

You should instead be chucking it away because it's a malware ridden point-of-failure with no support that could trash multiple millions (lus ongoing loss of revenue, plus potential human hard depending on equipment) when - not if - it fails.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As if the bean counters would approve an upgrade, we all know the excuses:
    Financial crisis, economic downturn blah blah and then you see the boss turn up in a new Bentley the next week.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

He's slumming it. ;)

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

We must all make sacrifices in these difficult times. He omitted the bluetooth transciever for driving the vehicle around the lot like the world's coolest RC car when he ordered this one. HE COULD'VE BEEN BOND, but he chose to tighten his belt for the good of the company.
    And that's why you're not getting a performance bonus this year.

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

XP still does get updates thought (the WePOS mode enable in reg) , basically flipping a 0 to 1 and you're getting security updates again as they still support the POS version of XP which is just XP with WePos on the end of it

still should not be using XP on the internet or networked connection at all or plugging in USB sticks into it

13. Xir

Xir Modder

As an engineer I can ensure you....everything fails in the end :D