1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft defends dearth of Edge extensions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 2 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure I disagree with their position here. The extensions store on Chrome is rife with hundreds of "me-too" extensions that, whilst they do what they say they are going to do in most cases, are usually just advertisement-leaden copies of other, original extensions.

I'm not exactly a heavy extension user on any browser, but my core needs would be met with the extensions available on Edge right now - uBlock Origin, LastPass, Reddit Enhancement Suite, Ghostery and Tampermonkey. I imagine that covers about 90% of the "core" usage of extensions by most heavy users.

It actually looks a lot better than when I last checked, with video downloader extensions and Grammarly available now, among other things.

As long as it *does* improve, I don't mind it improving slowly.

3. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I agree with this - the main ad blockers are there for those who want them and I'm finding Edge to be pretty decent at memory management, I'm pretty happy with using it as my main browser right now - just wish that the turn out the lights extension was update so that it worked again, a recent update to either the extension or edge itself has broken it

4. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I'm still waiting for a good speed dial extension before I give Edge a try - it seems very speedy from initial use, but with Firefox Quantum on the horizon, I wonder if that speed advantage is going to be eroded soon?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I initially disliked edge, probably because I was one of the few who liked W8 and thought that the Metro browser was one of the best touch based browsing experiences when in tablet mode, so I was disappointed when MS killed it, particularly for touch as it's now as bas as Android/iOS but I've got used to it and use it all the time now, its fairly compact and quick, still rubbish for touch though.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The only add-on i have in Chrome/FF that i don't in Edge is HTTPS Everywhere. Though strictly speaking i don;t have it in Chrome for Android either.

Tags: Add Tags