1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The Ryzen Effect

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Guest-56605 and Vault-Tec like this.
  2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

It's also good that the 8600K with 6 real cores but no HT has really closed the gap in gaming on the i7 8700K.

There was some justification in going for the 7700K over the 7600K, but I really don't see the merit in spending another £100 on the i7 this time, unless you really need HT for productivity purposes.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nice read thank you Anthony ! yes this year has been very exciting indeed. In fact, it's taken away a lot of Nvidia's thunder IMO. Every one is now talking CPUs again which is nice to see :)

4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

It's a consumer market once again (thank you AMD), we no longer have to pay through the nose for Intel products - competition is such a great thing :D ;)

Great article Ant!!

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

THIS

Honestly, I think AMD delaying Raven Ridge as long as they have (with no sign of desktop parts until 2018, it seems) is an even bigger mistake then them delaying Vega... I have a suspicion they staggered the launch intentionally to get as many Ryzen 3/5 buyers as possible, as I predict a lot of overlap with Zen-based APU's in that range - unless they differentiate them by making the APU chips locked multiplier only?

But seriously, cheap A320/B350 boards with Zen cores and 1080p-capable Vega graphics will sell like HOT CAKES, so get a bloody move on lads!

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It does seem a bit ridiculous that we're still waiting for APUs. Not sure why the delay, but AMD need to get a wriggle on!

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The sort of person happy with an APU would probably be quite happy with the existing Bristol ridge, so it's not like they don't have something, it's just not on the new arch, it still drops into the AM4 platform.

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Yeah but who want's to buy a new AM4 board, just to plug a god-awful Bulldozer chip into it? They might as well go for any recent i3 (heck, compared to Bristol Ridge, even Celery/Pentium) if they are having to get a new board/platform... which, as others have said in the past, is exactly what a lot of business will do for work rigs that need video output without dedicated GPU's.

I think the problem is that AMD have kinda priced themselves into a corner - APU range can't be more expensive than the productivity/gaming chips (Ryzen 3/5), but they also can't go lower than 4 cores and can't go much lower on price without ruining the very profit margin they need so badly. As I said above, the obvious answer is to lock them to clocks 200-300Mhz lower than their non-APU counterpart, as that gives them a very clear market (not users that know about/will use an unlocked multi) and puts the focus on those dirt cheap A320 boards... Why they haven't done this yet, who knows!

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The iGPU is still better than Intels even though it's old, only Intel Iris products are better, so if you are buying new and cheap its not a terrible option.

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

But it's not better for the only purpose of running a monitor, which is where the money is.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Recent rumors suggest Intel maybe working on a mobile CPU with Vega inside, it's incredulous to me but what do i know.

12. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

When you say office-PC, I take it you mean home office? There is no way that machine has anywhere near enough grunt to be used in a real office. Hell, the i7's (pro versions) in our desktops are not enough already with 4C/8T. Did you know that when calculating, Excel will use upto 20 cores to do the work if they are available? Some financial modelling spreadsheets still take nearly an hour to calculate on an i7.

Office pc is too generic a term, it's like saying it would be great for a home PC, yeah, in specific use cases.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

He likely means cheap, dell/hp/etc buy-them-by-the-****load identical boxes found in most schools, office complexes and phone drone hives.

EDIT: Looks like jrs77 beat me to the reply anyway...

MLyons likes this.
  14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I was in a brand new call centre last week - 600 NUCs

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Even the relatively tiny company I work for has bought 6 i5 6500-based machines for general office use, they replaced 3 & 4 series Intel boxes. I would have loved to suggest to the boss to look at AMD machines instead, but there's no way he would have been interested (and rightly so) in rigs that required dedicated GPU's - double so as the work we do and the products we sell all goes to customers who also use generic Intel machines with integrated graphics.

AMD didn't need Vega, and it did very little for us consumers, but we'd all benefit from Zen based APU's getting into the market ASAP as that's what is going to get AMD the brand recognition and support from the big retailers.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Where you see this?

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The rumour circulated after someone saw 'Vega Inside' on some Intel marketing... but appreantly Intel have a series of internal ads which state '[name] inside, [department/specialty] outside' with some marketing fluff underneath, and one of the people featured just happened to be named Vega.

EDIT: OC3D with a better explanation

Corky42 likes this.
  18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I thought it sounded to ridiculous to be true, it's good to get a more credible explanation, thanks RedFlames. :)

19. gosh

gosh Minimodder

good, about time and this is as it should be. been putting pc's together since the 386 days as a kid but the good times were in the naughties where amd were the budget option that forced intel to really up their game, since intel released the core range it's been completely one sided so no wonder they've been putting out iterative releases of the same chip for near 10 years.

main thing is i hope it lasts as though i need to build a new pc soon (current build was a super-budget machine based on ps4/xbone specs as i trusted any big games will be ported to console so will scale) i only use pc for gaming so ryzens main focus on multi-core doesn't work for me - hoping the explosion of cores will make pc games more multithreaded but unless consoles follow suit i doubt it but price drops and faster releases from intels higher clocked cpu's is welcome

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Consoles are more multithreaded than PC for games and have been since the last generation ( 360 = 3x2 Thread PPC, PS3 = 1x2 Thread PPC + 6 SPEs ), they needed to be coded for spawning parallel processes because their Power PC cores were so weak despite running at 3.2Ghz, and the same rings true of the current gen consoles, still weak but many core.

PCs have to target the lowest common denominator in general and so aren't threaded well as unlike console you aren't guaranteed many threads at your disposal.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2017
Tags: Add Tags