1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel, AMD partner on high-end laptop chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Nov 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Hell hath frozen over.

Or not. As we all know, in this industry, there is never smoke without fire... And these smoke signals have been billowing for a while.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

With a bit of luck this will lead to AMD gaining a more favourable advantage against nvidia, hopefully intel doesn't **** AMD over.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I wonder if they used any of AMD's special glue :clap:

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Call me cynical but what if this is just a way for Intel to get close engineering knowledge of Radeon gfx allowing them to reverse engineer their own graphics core for future APU use?

MLyons likes this.
  6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If they are planning to reverse engineer things they'd still be one step behind AMD as it looks like it's going to be using the Polaris architecture and despite disappointing performance gains with Vega it did actually introduce some big changes to GCN.

7. Vault-Tec

You can't just steal an architecture. Not unless they have spent years preparing the legal stuff with crap hidden in it so deep that AMD are blind.

It's no secret that Intel gave up on trying ages ago. They've made themselves pretty big enemies of Nvidia too (refusing to license them sockets for their own chipsets for starters) and from what I've read they are not exactly buddies with Jen.

The problem for AMD is that they have always been, and always will be AMD. The mindshare on Intel and Nvidia are so strong that no matter how well AMD do they are always miles behind. Example - The Radeon 5000 series. Kicked the crap out of the 200 series Nvidias, was much better behaved than Fermi too, yet what card sold in the highest numbers during Nvidia's holiday away from actually sending out any stock to any one? the GTX 260. AMD will never, ever get away from that or find a way around it. How do you think Intel survived through the P4, Netburst (boak) and RDRAM? by just being Intel. They were getting their asses handed to them in performance terms yet they still managed to sell sell sell.

AMD now make money on every console sold. Very clever. They now make money on every high end Intel mobile product sold. No one will care that there's an AMD GPU in this s**t because at the end of the day Intel. Same goes for all of the Apple products it goes in.

Fair play AMD. If you can't beat 'em use 'em :D

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Didn't Lisa Su say only a few months ago they weren't in the business of enabling their competitors?

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Money talks... dude. ;)

I would love to grab a new Ultrabook with one of these inside. Maybe one day...

10. Vault-Tec

You'd be amazed at how good a multi million dollar slice of humble pie can taste :D Any way, Radeon tech group was distanced from AMD recently any way.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There's enabling competitors and then there's teaming up with one competitor to stick the boot in to another.

Chicken76 likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

But it's multiple die stuck together, weren't Intel bashing that recently :D

I'd imagine there would be good money in it for them, they are not a charity after all and are in the business to make money.

Cash rules.

13. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

They aren't enabling their competitors..

You see AMD is a bit strapped for cash, and couldn't fight every war. For this generation, they have no 45w Mobile part on their roadmap, having aggressively targeted the 15w market. This means they can freely create a custom Intel designed radeon GPU and supply it, as additional revenue from an area of the market they currently wouldn't be exploiting.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, and by supplying the GPU element they're also preventing nVidia from filling the gap. So they make some money from supplying a GPU for the Intel part, whilst also minimising the sales lost to nVidia.

15. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I see your points guys, but why did she have to straight-out lie to us? It's not like they only started this project after she made that statement.
    Don't get me wrong, I am glad they managed to get this deal, but what did the lying accomplish, keep Nvidia in the dark a few more months? Clearly an Intel+AMD product would not be able to stay a secret for long in this industry.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well, as SoulRider says, they aren't enabling their competitors (or at least, if they are then it's because this move benefits AMD). Couldn't care less whether Lisa Su said x and then y happened, really - this is a win for AMD.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AMD have next to no marketshare in notebook, so it's either sell nothing or sell something. I'm guessing it's an Apple-timed exclusive, with Tier-2 and NUC later

Uh? She doesn't owe you anything. She answers to shareholders.

18. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

She's the head of a public company and thus not allowed to lie about products and partnerships close to being completed. A 'no comment' would have sufficed.
    Besides, how do you know I don't own AMD stock? :grin:

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

She didn't lie, she was technically correct; the best kind of correct. It's a non competitive product. AMD has nothing in the performance-gaming 35-45W notebook market. This ensures sales it would have otherwise never have got. Thus, as an AMD shareholder, you should be happy they have a new revenue stream.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Also it have been true when she said it. Things change.

Tags: Add Tags