1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Game Digital hit by £10 million loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Nov 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It's never nice to see a company struggling as inevitably its peoples jobs on the line but I stopped using game years ago after they wanted to give me just £7 for a spider man game that they had on sale pre owned for £31.

3. mysteryman8

mysteryman8 What's a Dremel?

game is a massive rip off, where the game is located where I live I can walk for 2 min to the local supermarket and get the exact same game for £10 less, thats a massive difference. also any online store is at least £10 cheaper on any game in game. I have seen used games more expensive in game than new online.

hopefully game goes under soon as they have been ripping off people for far to long.

4. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I suspect herein lies the issue. The people who buy from GAME are parents who know no better and gamers who utilise revolving credit to fund their hobby, aka people with very little money relying on trade ins and ups to get the latest releases. They have branched out into selling pre-owned phones, tablets and consoles because their margins on those items are significantly higher, but they’re only as competitive as the likes of CEX and the ilk, which is to say “not very”. Again, the same customer base is drawn to that.

Why would I buy a game from GAME for £49.99 or more when in most cases I can buy the same thing online with free delivery at least £10 cheaper and usually significantly cheaper than that?

In my experience they don’t make up the difference in customer service either. The few times I’ve been in one, usually for console accessories, I’ve had to wait a long time at the counter to pay or I’ve asked about something their website says they have in stock but they actually don’t and not even gotten an apology for having wasted my time. Need to up their GAME else die a dignified death.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I liked my local GAME store. Back in the day when I had the time to spend hours on games in the evening, and would chew through a couple a week, I'd go there a lot. The staff all knew me, and even now I still see some of them outside of GAME and we do the usual greeting/how's things chat.

There's no getting around the fact that they are violently overpriced, though. I suspect it's old bosses not wanting to concede to the online market, coupled with a need to fund the brick and mortar aspect of their stores - When they don't have anything else going to offset it (As supermarkets do).

I'm pretty sure the writing has been on the wall for Game since their 2011 underpants crapping.

Also, someone might need to check sahre in the last link

6. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

the future is digital surely they have forcasters who would have told them that? maybe they have too much money invested in thier outlets to just go digital but with online retailers selling at much cheaper prices thier bound to lose out.

you can only sell to so many parents who dont have a clue...

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Depends on the game, I picked up PC Dragon Age Inquisition GOTY for £5 from them online and at the time they had BF4 Premium Edition also for £5. I don't think I've ever seen those two games hit that price.

8. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Publishers have their own stores now for PC stuff, I cant remember the last time I purchased a physical copy of a game. Consoles also have an online store nowadays and more often than not, physial copies are cheaper in supermarkets or from amazon/ebay.

It is a shame that game is going to end up dieing, but even as a young lad back in the 90's I rarely visited the store even though I was a super enthusiastic gamer.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

These days both the Dragon Age and the Battlefield series are included in the £20 a year Origin Access if I remember correctly.

Tags: Add Tags