1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MacOS High Sierra hit by major security vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 29 Nov 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Oops.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This is what happens when, by all accounts, the macOS dev team now consists of Siri, the mail guy and an intern who got lost.

That and Apple's well-known stance on issues like this of 'ignore it and hope no-one notices'.

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Look on the bright side: What with the Intel Management Engine omnihack, no one has a REASON to use this one.

But no, Apple's finding out that security through obscurity doesn't work once you outgrow a niche, and that they aren't really that good at security through design.
    I'm still trying to figure out the old "API to let any program give itself root privileges automatically." I mean, I know WHY it existed(so users didn't have to enter a password every time they touched the control panel). I've just never figured out why Apple thought it was a good idea, or why it wasn't configured with a whitelist so ONLY allow the control panel binaries could use it.

Tags: Add Tags