1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus VR launches Rift Core 2.0 public beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Almost as easy as just using a keyboard and mouse...

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It's a great idea, but it needs polishing off in places...
    Issues I've found so far. If your native display is running at 4k, then using the desktop mode in VR, the text is unreadable, even if you blow the screen up to the size of a cinema screen, and have it curved around you, you still need to lean forward to read text off it. So this is were we need Higher res panels in VR headsets to get rid of the visible pixels. Saying that, when running a 8k video with a screen that size and wrapped around you, the pixels disappear as you're fully immersed in high quality visuals.
    I even found that upscaling text and layout to 150% to make the desktop more readable in VR, you then end up with another problem, were when you go to use the touch keyboard it ends up over scaling, which makes it useless to use.
    And finally, when opening up folders in VR with nothing open on your desktop, the folders don't open, so when taking off your headset to use the desktop normally, you have the same problem until you close Oculus app, close off any apps that appear open on the task bar, and then windows will operate normal again. I also found that leaving a folder open on the desktop before heading into VR solves that problem.

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

A. You can still use a keyboard. I suppose you could use a mouse, but the cursor doesn't show currently in Dash.
    B. HOLODECK COMPUTING! MINORITY REPORT! I AM TONY STARK!

In seriousness, I love the ability to pop windows out and arrange them in 3D space. It was why I paid for VR Toolbox. There are even some legitimate use cases once the "starring in a sci-fi movie" appeal wears off. And, well, watching a movie on a 200" monitor while IRC runs off to your left is just nice.
    The inability to see my keyboard is admittedly a significant downside, though I don't usually see much difference between pointing with the hand controller and grabbing a mouse.

Tags: Add Tags