1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Nitro+ Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

This is very sad indeed!

You could get a blower-style 1080 and stick an AIO on it for less than this card will probably launch at.

One can only assume that they are trying to make money from the miners while it's still hot?

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol, they've done something I thought was impossible & made 1070Ti prices look like a bargain.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Recommended?!

How?! Its the size of a house, costs more than a car, uses as much power as a black market mining operation and doesn't compete with a nearly 2 year old GTX 1080.

Madness, frankly.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That is one monster of a card that is too expensive and too power hungry. Shame you guys didn't attempt undervolting as it would have been interesting to see performance/power consumption/heat when tweaking that.

It's also interesting to see that they didn't go with the Fury design where the back end of the heatsink had no PCB to block it. Odd since that seemed to be the reason the Sapphire Fury was a cool/quiet running card IIRC.

Edit: Also would have been interesting to see Radeon Chill thrown in the mix. Though I'm not sure how you'd test that.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Was looking forward to Vega. It arrived late. It disappointed. I bought a 1080. Became happy.

Have gamed for several months on it while aftermarket 64s still haven't been out and now they arrive, are underwhelming and are a whack load more than my 1080 without being that whack load more better.

Hopefully one day I'll get to use the Freesync on my monitor but I'm not holding my breath any more.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is there some unwritten law of the universe that when one branch of AMD does well the other must suck hard enough to pull a golf ball through a garden hose?

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, giving this a Recommended award based on a speculative price of £510 seems crazy given that at that price it is competing directly with the 1080, which is faster. It's all well and good drawing a favourable comparison with the 1070Ti but if this card costs 15% or 20% more than the 1070, and is slower than the 1080, it's not such a great prospect. And god forbid it comes in at higher than £510, too.

And as @Wakka says, this thing is stupidly big and thirsty. Not for me, Clive.

10. adidan

Dear god, i'd just been reading the 64 review on Hexus and got my wires crossed. This is the 56.... No, just no.

I don't think it reasonable to really give a recommended tag at this price when that recommendation sounds like it's on the basis of somebody also buying a monitor at the same time and is considering either free or gsync. As a standalone purchase, which is usually the case with gpus, how can it be?

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Overrated or what?? Jeez...

Is BT afraid of getting black listed by vendors for being honest? Come off it... honesty is more important than a sample. Funnily enough, they value your HONEST opinion more. I have never kissed any ass for samples, yet they still rock up at my door.

You may as well recommend a 1950X or 7980X for a Facebook user.

12. Vallachia

Vallachia What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't buy any card with a vapour chamber.

13. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Why is there so much thermal paste on the chip? It's a mess!

14. rollo

rollo Modder

I brought my 1080 at launch and nothing I have saw from AMD has made me regret that purchase.

3 8pin power connectors is laughable stuff. As is the then power consumed numbers.

15. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

For a choice between a GTX 1080Ti Mini and this for £10 less ?

No chance amd ! Much as I want to support the underdog, my heart isn't up to this beating.

dunx

P.S. OCUK Vega price £630 VS CCL @ £632 for the Nvidia option....

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Lulz, that is an £80 in stock tax compared to what they initially listed it for when the card launched days ago, which in turn was almost a £200 premium over the original Vega 56 price.

At this rate by easter they'll send a horde of super models to installs your Titan V for the price of one Vega card.

17. David Everett

David Everett What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm new here so hello to you all, I'm trying to work out how I can use the Vega Notro's RGB lighting can anyone help please?

Cheers.

18. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Hi David, you would be better posting this to the hardware section as a new thread so that more people see it.

19. adidan

Go to the sapphire website for your gpu and download the nitro utility. That program lets you change the RGB from what I can see.

Tags: Add Tags