1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guides Water-Cooling with Hardline Tubing Guide: PETG and Acrylic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 26 Jan 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Boy, you're just a guide-making machine lately. :D I like.

Maki role likes this.
  3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Was told I'm hoarding secret knowledge bro, gotta iron that out haha

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As someone who worked for a plumbing firm, err, decades ago, it will be interesting to see how you deal with copper pipes.

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

This is brilliant, thank you.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Great guides, keep it up.

7. Cheapskate

@Mr_Mistoffelees - I've fit US 5/8" pipe in 16mm Bitspower SLI fittings, (Yeah! I mixed metric and Imperial. Fight me! It's a safe bet it's the only reason there's a 16mm fitting anyway.)
    Just use the tempered hard stuff since the annealed coils are no longer perfectly round.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Great article :)

9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Tut, sigh, Alex aka @Maki role - Does that mean your visitors guide to Groom Lake, who really killed Kennedy and your dummies guide to Voodoo are still yet to come...?? :p

Back on topic, the guide has been bookmarked for a later date, great article fella :cool: :D

MLyons likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I once decorated my hall way. The next day the guy nextdoor to me asked me how many rolls of wallpaper I used. I said 13.

Two days later the guy was knocking on my door, angry. He said "I asked you how many rolls of wallpaper you used to decorate your hall" I said "Yes, you did". Then he said "I have five left over !". I replied "so did I !".

IE - it doesn't cost you anything to share helpful information. Yet, modders usually don't. So basically all of the things you cover in that article (like cracking tubing using the wrong cutters, overheating and so on) are all a part of a learning process that could be easily avoided (and the cost of making those mistakes) by some one explaining it. Do you see what I am getting at?

Any way a big thank you for the article. See, the main reason I have not bothered using hard tubing yet is because information on it is scant. People just usually come along and go "TADAAAAA" and show it all finished, not how they did it.

And for people like me with autism, who need very clear and concise instructions (I would say learning difficulties but I don't like that term) things like this are invaluable.

I do have a couple of old CPC covering it, but that was right back at the beginning and involved glued fittings etc. Things have changed muchly since then.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Great article @Maki role . I really liked it and having completed my first hard build towards the end of last year you cover a lot of topics that are not that easy to find elsewhere.

In your upcoming article would you be able to talk through a couple more fundamental parts, I found these out as I went along on my build and couldn't find that much online about them or what I could wasn't that clear.

Fittings - Explain how they work (and are different from flexible tubing), why the chamfer inside and out is so important
    Measuring for bending - How to measure, where to put the bends, how to do multiple bends and where to plan cross overs and aesthetics

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm waiting on a guide to that world class moustache.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

You would think at the cost of this stuff (the fittings and so on) that this info would be everywhere. It isn't though. That is why I have stuck to soft tubing for now, as at least I know where I am at with it.

I look forward to the continuation of this guide :) might even had some hard lines into my rigs. I do like soft tubing for its organic lines, but there are certain parts I would like to be able to contrast it with some straight bends :)

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A timely guide, I'm getting set up for a loop in the Kimera Cerberus X, and am down to selection of tubing and fittings. The main bone of contention is filling without a reserervoir (no space) and degassing: with soft tubing the solution is easy: add an in-line quick-disconnect, unlike the loop to fill (open loop, pour coolant in at one and with a drain line at the other) and then close the loop when full and degassed. With hardline (leaning towards chromed pipe to complement the shiny waterbocks) I'd need to either add a section of flex tubing for the quick disconnects, or install a permanent manifold to allow switching flow from open to closed loop (Two adjacent T fittings, one valve between the T fittings, one valve on each T fitting). Or add just one T-fitting, fill with a single line, then attach a vacuum pump to degas (could only do that with strong hardline tubing, and hope the fittings don't leak air in).

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

As someone who makes hydraulic and industrial hose assemblies, I found this to be a really interesting read. The close attention to detail that you need here doesn't really come into play when crimping a 6 inch suction hose. It would be neat to see if making these lines for custom pc builds could be something that we could get into at work. Although I doubt anyone would want to pay what we charge...

16. Cheapskate

@Goatee & @Vault-Tec -The ModZoo did a bunch of video guides on fittings and hard line tube. I don't think it's proper to cross-board post, though.

17. Vault-Tec

Never heard of it Cheaps mate. Oh wait yes I have, that Ciabanalux or whatever his name was used to have fan grills on his PC with that on.

18. Vault-Tec

Just to say. I don't like video guides or tutorials. We had a big debate about it on another forum I visit the other week. We all pretty much agreed that video tutorials and guides made things a lot harder than having something you can read at your own pace. Something you could reference as you worked sort of thing.

It's even bloody worse when you are following something on Youtube verbatim and the person doing the guide makes a mistake, then corrects it. Because if I am doing say a boot stick for a Hackintosh I have then performed that mistake and paused the sodding video.

Yeah, not good at all. I tell you what it makes me feel like.. Taking a pee on a boat that's moving in the waves. IE you are trying to concentrate but everything is moving...

Text guides Cheesecake.

19. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

It's great that you all agreed about video tutorials being pants. Perhaps if I join the group then you'd no longer have a unanimous verdict on vids.

Video tutorials can convey the information in a much clearer way. The difference between reading a book with static pictures and having a teacher there in front of you.

MLyons and Maki role like this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Depends what you are doing. I would much rather have a guide in text. It's much easier to stop and start when you have your hands full.

Tags: Add Tags