1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Feb 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It was funny to see 1st hand though.

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Did you mix the UK prices up?

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just told him and he's fixed it.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

So, a mixed bag here then: CPU performance is decent (no better or worse than the non-APU parts), GPU performance is great for an APU, but lots of nasty gremlins. Hope AMD can sort this out pronto as this isn't a great look.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My next upgrade is going to be a Zen 2 version of this, 'cos I'm damned if I'm paying Real Money for something that's still Spectre-infested. I've had six years out of this A10-5800K, I can stretch it a couple more.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Once cleared up, seems like a nice bit of hardware. AMD better get to releasing at least a microcode update for spectre though.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So as these use standard TIM (not soldered) i wonder how long before someone delids them and test direct die cooling.

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They do? Source?

Roman will do it very soon... pretty sure on that one.

10. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Hyper-Threading is an Intel trademark, you can't use it in regards to AMD products.
    AMD calls it by its industry-standard name: SMT, which Hyper-Threading is also an implementation of.

11. TheMadDutchDude

Oh, good catch. Best make sure you say SMT instead of HT before Intel grabs you. :D

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

My summary of the review:

Ryzen 3 2200G:
    Trading blows with the i3-8100 in CPU performance and slaughtering it in GPU performance while being cheaper.

Ryzen 5 2400G:
    I can't see how its worth the premium over the 2200G.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Still running a phenom ii in my HTPC and I'm mixed on upgrading.

Power numbers are really attractive and similar performance to the 750ti but part of me was hoping for slightly better GPU performance after all the hype.
    The Ryzen 5 is the same price as the Hex core part making it a tough choice.
    Ryzen 3 part is fantastic for the price but DDR4 prices really are a sticking point for any rebuild.

Speaking of DDR4, how does memory speed affect performance. I assume its something similar to AMDs previous APUs

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

My viewpoints :
    1) you need an older Ryzen CPU to update the board to have new BIOS for the new CPU... Or wait for updates boards to trickle through the retail channel. Not an ideal situation.
    2) aparently there are 35W units coming out soon (2200GE and 2400GE)... For my use case, those will be better, so i have to wait for these anyway :).

15. rollo

rollo Modder

I still do not understand a apu test of the games you choose. It will likely never be used past Dota / League / Overwatch which is what they are for and will achieve much better results than you show here. I am not personally the target market for this stuff but I imagine that would add more relivence.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A Phenom is ~10 years old at this point. Even four modern cores and a modern motherboard with UEFI will be a huge upgrade to an old K10.5. Yes, faster DDR4 is better for the APU, and that's the real issue with it if you're replacing it for entry-gaming. For a HTPC it doesn't make much difference. Depends if you're doing more than just video for home theater.

This. It's for the millions of entry-gamers who want console cost for non-console games.

17. TheMadDutchDude

Faster memory definitely helps the GPU more than you might think. We know how it affects RYZEN, but the GPU gains huge benefits from it too.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

First page of the review, end of the third sentence after the image of how precision boost 2 works.

19. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

As suspected...

Update 13/02/2018: We have confirmed that even in the latest BIOS on our Gigabyte board, the GPU overclock does not apply properly, so the improvements you see in the graphs are solely from the memory speed increase.

Someone mentioned the benefit of faster memory, and it is absolutely worth going for the fastest memory you can with these. It's a big bottleneck in GPU workloads.

Corky42 likes this.
  20. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

These look absolutely gorgeous for the future of laptops!

Do you guys go back and change the ending of reviews if e.g. software crapness is addressed in a few months?

Tags: Add Tags