1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD offers 'boot kit' for 2nd Gen Ryzen buyers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Feb 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

What's a "Boot kit" though? A dummy (i.e. very low power) processor?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AMD hasn't clarified, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it's an RMA'd chip good enough to run UEFI - and that you'll have to return it afterwards.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's the trouble with today's market - Everyone is rushing out products to meet the demands, thinking of their profit margins over the cost of upsetting costumers...
    Why not have a new motherboard chipset out with the correct Bios to run it? Instead you get a mickey mouse show, because people have cut corners... Same story as game developers and their rushed out ports. Marketing plan "Get it out there, and fix it later..." Not good enough!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'cos then every time a new chip comes out you have to buy a new motherboard, too. (Looking at you, here, Intel.)

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

But hasn't that always been the case? - Most people stick with what they have for a few yrs, and then upgrade the whole lot at once. (Me being the exception...) :D

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, this is the slight downside to having motherboard longevity: you can't plan for forward compatibility with parts that don't yet exist :D I think that it's admirable that AMD have said that AM4 will be around for four years, but that doesn't mean it'll be entirely smooth sailing for everyone on that platform...

Guest-44432 likes this.
  8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

No with prior AMD systems I would just upgrade my CPU forgoing new features and keeping all my old crap but with more CPU ability, life was good, with my Intel system I just did not upgrade it as it cost too much to replace the whole lot for very little benefit, so I was on a 3770k for a very long time.

AMD are releasing new chipsets to go with new chips but new chips will work in old boards.

9. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

What ? Typically one would just update their cpus until intel started ripping people of for buying new chipsets with every ever so slightly updated cpu gen. Have a look at https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockel_AM2 f.e. or https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockel_775 for intel.

10. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I was looking at Raven Ridge for an upgrade to my HTPC, but worried about the mobo compatibility. This solution is really interesting, I am really keen for someone to get their hands on a kit and show the world. I would like to see it come it come with the cooler stuck or soldered on for ease of use (just plug in and plug out after).

You are nuts! That's the reason a dolphin is probably already choking down one of thousands of perfectly good Intel Kaby Lake boards that must be surfing our oceans right now. That Coffee Lake update was the biggest con in silicon history, and Kaby Lake itself was already pretty dubious, DDR4 was mostly unnecessary too. You are getting fleeced mate! I have had chips that were not recognised in the bios but allowed for the bios to be updated (to be fair I actually think this was Intel, but also another indicator that they don't need to be changing the boards all the time) so I think it is unfortunate that the chips did not work right out the box. If your retailer will not supply the newest bios as last line solutions go it is pretty good, also cooler manufacturers have been sending me free brackets for newly released sockets for years, there is good and well received precedent.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2018
  11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's fair enough. :)

Well, I've been away from enthusiast PC hardware for a few years, so upgrading when something new came out was the norm back then. But I quite rightly agree that for the past four generations of Intel CPU's my i5 4670k is still as fast as today's current in games... So it was probably for a good reason I came away from it for a few years.

I was nuts years ago, as you may have seen some of my benchmark threads back in the day. That's a bit excessive to put things like that. As with any old hardware, I've always sold it on to pay towards new gear. So what people do with it afterwards is down to them...

No, I'm not getting fleeced, as with what I replied to Lenne0815 comment, answers that. But, if I finally make the move to DDR4, would that not be a silly move when DDR5 comes out next year, and we all have to upgrade again? :D

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Feb 2018
  12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Wait until mainboards with the 4xx chipsets turn up in spring, they'll be compatible out of the box.

Tags: Add Tags