1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel launches Core i9 six-core Coffee Lake laptop chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 2 Apr 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A desktop version of this:

would be nice to have...

28W TDP + half decent IGP, that would enable some very compact ITX HTPCs due to not needing real cooling.but of course Intel would prefer it if you blow $1000 on a NUC...

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Now updated with full spec tables

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Now come up with a heat dissipation specification that can actually cope with the chip at full load for extended periods, please. My "workstation" laptop has the CPU clockspeed bounce around like a rabbit on crack if it's loaded for more than a minute, even with the fans forced to 100%. Non-workstation laptops are even more ridiculous - a colleagues Macbook Pro hits full speed for about five seconds before clocking down hard.

Although to be fair I think the Iris Pro has something to do with that - all chips with an Iris Pro in them seem to run much hotter than others. That 128MB of eDRAM (or whatever it is, I forget)...?

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And while at it also talk laptop manufacturers into stopping the pointless pursuit of shaving off another millimetre at the expense of battery life.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

XPS13 9360 with Ubuntu Linux cheesecake: easy 18 hours of active use per charge, still wafer-thin. You can even game on it, if you set your expectations appropriately.

Tags: Add Tags