1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches new, 'open' GPU partner programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Apr 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Has AMD pledged to actually... do anything under this program? As far as I can tell, OEMs are shuffling around the random word salad they slap onto their box art (ROG STRIX AREZ ARIES EXTREME OVERCLOCK BLACK RED EDITION GAMERS), and AMD have gone "yeah, this is totally our initiative".

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, looks like AMD are basically saying "we are not nVidia" and, err, that's it. All the actual work, such as it is, is rebranding by AIBs in direct response to nVidia's GPP.

So basically AMD are taking credit for something that nVidia have done :D

But don't get me wrong, I think GPP is a pile of nonsense and nVidia are turds for doing it.

4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Has Nvidia...???

Other than decree "Don't market products from other companies under your established (bought and paid for consumer market trusted) gaming brands you've invested millions in - well that's if you want to see a readily available supply of GPU's from us"

impar likes this.
  5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So what happens to other products like motherboards that carry the same brand banner? is it that you can have ROG motherboards, ROG sound cards, laptops, etc, etc but not ROG AMD based graphics cards?

It just seems daft as that would mean you could have a ROG X470 Ryzen motherboard or a ROG laptop with Vega iGPU but not a graphics card.

MLyons likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Mainboards, Sound cards and so on are things nvidia has nothing to do with, so they don't care.
    With Laptops its pretty much the same thing as mobile GPUs omit the whole ROG / Aorus / Whatever branding and nvidia doesn't make laptops so they again don't care.

Where it gets messy is prebuilt desktops, for example is Asus allowed to sell a prebuilt PC with an Arez RX580 in it and call the PC as a whole ROG?

Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
  7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Basically it will all boil down to brand association, however we all know how much establishing and publicising a brand costs - Strix for example is seen as the lesser brand to ROG etc, welcome to Game of Words peeps :rolleyes: :p

8. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It seems like everything is back-to-front, if Nvidia don't want their products associated with "other" graphics cards and, as rumors indicate, are willing to spend money to help ODM's promote their gaming brand then shouldn't it be Nvidia products that get the new branding.

Not to do so seems to confuse things even more as *Insert established gaming brand here* ends up getting associated with Nvida when they only, really, sell graphics cards and ODM's make much more than just those.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Funniest thing to come out of this whole debacle is that Arez is just one letter removed from Warez which brings back memories of the really old internet days when some Intel shills tried to push the agenda that pirates and hackers where the only ones using AMD.

11. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Tbh it's all a lot of nerd rage about nothing.

I have never bought a card going by brand first and gpu company second. I don't suppose anyone much has. We all look at the reviews for cards (paying very little attention to what partner made them) and pick a card - e.g. a 1060 or a 580. Then if we want for example a 580 we'll google prices and find the one that matches our price/quality/oc/noise/etc, we don't care what branding 1060's have because we aren't looking to buy a 1060.

Anyone buying a pre-build won't know what brand of card is in it - just that it's a 1060 or 580.

As long as you can still buy AMD cards with a decent cooling/etc (which you can, asus still sells AMD) then the rest is pretty meaningless.

edzieba and Guest-16 like this.
  12. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Not pictured in the article but I spotted a picture of an Asus Arez Strix GPU elsewhere. A quick search came up with this Arez Vega 64:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/AREZ-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING/

Looks like Asus are splitting the ROG brand but Strix is being used for both AMD and NVidia. And the box still looks like the one used for ROG AMD cards. I'm interested to see if NVidia consider this a violation of their new GPP.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Asus missed an opportunity. Just call the AMD ROG kit The Democratic Peoples Republic of Gamers.

Fingers66 and bawjaws like this.
  14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Given how stale and predictable hardware is these days that is the best you can hope for:grin:

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

"May you live in interesting times"

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

What about motherboards? Are those affected by GPP? Will we see Arez motherboards replace ROG motherboards?

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Splitters!

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

19. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Good riddance!

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I can't imagine it would have as Nvidia don't make motherboard chipsets anymore for the mainstream boards. I suspect all the Asus marketing changes now that GPP is dead will just disappear, I can't see them spending cash for changes that are no longer required.

Amen!

Tags: Add Tags