1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The Best VR Games for PC in 2018

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

What about Lone Echo? - That has to be the best game on VR, followed by Robo Recall. :)

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Totally agree with 'Lone Echo' one of the greatest gaming experiences in the history of gaming... 'Superhot VR' is a worthy inclusion, no other VR game has such replayability.

J.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Along with Robo Recall and Lone Echo, I'd add Rez Infinite, Thumper and at least one 3rd person platformer (Lucky's Tale, Edge of Nowhere or Chronos to taste). It's disappointing how few 3rd person platformers are available, VR makes jump estimation much more intuitive than fixed-view or character-locked-camera. The "VR means first-person-only" meme refuses to die.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

You become immune to motion sickness so quickly, I don't get why people make such a big issue of it and why developers force teleportation on everyone.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Because not all the population does.
    I've been messing with VR for over a decade (and have had it available daily for half a decade) with the same very high sensitivity for Orthostereo violations. And it's not a small portion of the population either. Non-acclimatising simulator-sickness in military pilots - self-selecting for high tolerance to motion sickness - is at about 20% of the population (i.e. 1 in 5 will expereince simulator sickness and never gain 'sim legs'), so consider that a minimum proportion for the general public.
    You can tolerate Orthostereo violations and think teleportation is annoying? Good for you. It's there because many (if not post) others would find it's absence literally unusable, not merely annoying. Developers make a 'big deal' about it because ruling out large portions of the population (and nearing 100% of those who are using VR for the first time) is a very bad idea. Even people who can eventually build a tolerance will unconsciously shy away from applications that have caused nausea in the past even after they have built a tolerance.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

So instead of making it a gameplay option they make it the only way to play the game, in turn putting off the people who don't have delicate bellies from buying the game. It's like they came up with the least fun and immersive way to play a game, it destroys the whole point of VR. I swear this crap plus manufacturers making games exclusive to their headsets is going to kill VR before it finds it's legs.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2018
  8. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It is amazing how much "Rezzier" Rez feels in VR.
    Also, I think 90% of my VR time has been spent in Audioshield. Not that it is the best game, but it IS one that you can pass the headset off to a non-gamer and they'll immediately "get it". And that's the story of how I got my anti-game mother to play video games.

Regarding the whole motion sickness thing... I remember being baffled by people that couldn't play Doom(much less Descent), or read in a car. My VR motion-sickness is, predictably, a zero. Even when corkscrewing through a Descent-em-up. I crank the comfort settings to zero, and my belly is rock-solid(metaphorically speaking).
    BUT the zero-G environment of Lone Echo, which I've seen lauded for being a very "comfortable" natural-motion game, leaves me feeling unpleasantly discombobulated. My stomach is the only part of me that DOES feel stable in there.
    I think I finally understand those people that couldn't play Doom.

9. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

Rift user here - found the list of chosen games to be rather underwhelming TBH. You included The Lab just for the bow level? Have you not tried "In Death"?

My list of must play VR games would read as follows:

1. Beat Saber
    2. Lone Echo
    3. SuperHot VR
    4. Project Cars 2/Dirt Rally and/or Assetto Corsa
    5. Pavlov VR
    6. Onward
    7. In Death
    8. Eleven Table Tennis VR
    9. Arktika.1
    10. Robo Recall
    11. Sprint Vector
    12. Space Pirate Trainer
    13. The Climb

I haven't personally tried Fallout/Skyrim/Doom VFR or LA Noire Case Files to know if they ought to be in the list - but they're proper games, rather than just tech demos/experiences...

For me, VR has been a total and literal "game changer" I hardly play 2D games now. Into the Breach was my last exception...

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Shooty fruity is a great game and what I use to demonstrate VR to people normally.

Zak33 likes this.
  11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm surprised Beat Saber wasn't on the list with it being the most popular VR game ever (going by number sold etc).I was skeptical about Beat VR being much different than Audiosurf, but the VR aspect coupled with the aggressive music and play style make it a really addictive wee game.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Speak of the devil, Moss has now made its way from PSVR to PC.

13. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Shooty Fruity rocks... because it's funny as hell AND instinctive

Tags: Add Tags