1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus announces ROG Phone, laptops, and headset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Jun 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Gameritis, it' spread to phones! I wonder if anyone stopped to think about whether ot not someon buying a phone actually wants
    rgb on it, or if they were so far gone they didn't even realise they had done it. I'm waiting for a phone with a mechanical Home Button, 50 million clicks people!

The Scar II does look like a nice laptop though.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering that mobile game revenue is allegedly as high as that of all consoles and PC combined at first glance it does look like a safe bet that there is a market for gaming phones.

Of course once we get down to the details it gets a bit more complicated...
    With Razer, Xiaomi and Asus we now have three brands competing for the same market plus all three can barely shift any phones (just like every other phone brand that isn't Apple or Samsung)
    The google play store is the worst digital store front on the planet for discovering new games (if you are not Candy Crush famous your game ain't getting exposure)
    Plus what if the PubeG and Fartnite trend on mobiles dies out?

4. fix-the-spade

But that's money being spent by clueless children and bored housewives who have no more interest in 'gaming' than they do the fuel tank layout of a Ducati GP18. I don't see any of mobile gaming's many whales being even slightly drawn by a ROG phone.

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

RGB phones... Oh please, really...??

Add the Asus Tax and you can get ta f*ck with that!!

Nice looking laptop though (as has been said) :happy:

6. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Just to note, the controller pictured isnt a Asus product, its the stand alone Gamevice for android which has been out for a while for Samsung phones, looks like the phones dimensions mean it fits

https://gamevice.com/collections/mobile-console-gaming-android

I mostly agree with the comments here tho, personally i'm a big fan of mobile gaming with AAA games and think games like Fortnite coming to mobile has shown the potential for the market, but rather than focusing on hardware the focus should be on software with companies looking to bring other AAA games to mobile in the same way - Nvidia seemed to be on a good route with their shield range but it seems to have lost its way since the switch basically became the newest shield device

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Depends on how many of them go for Pubg and Fortnite (which both have something resembling hw requirements) instead of all the coloured stores like Clash of Clans or that Final Fantasy scam.
    But as I said previously it isn't that simple, even well known mega companies like Sony and LG struggle to sell their phones due to people blindly buying Apple and Samsung, so what chance do phone market underdogs like Asus or Razer really have?

And of course there is the Nintendo shaped elephant in the room...
    Both the 3DS and Switch have a far better games library than phones and cost much less than any of the Asus / Razor / Xiaomi gaming phones.

8. fix-the-spade

I have seen enough Razer phones in people's hands to think it's carved out a little niche for itself, rather like Razer have managed with the Blade laptops.

Everyone else is boned though, plus I think/assume that PUBG and Fortnite are being played on tablets in people's homes on wifi rather than on phones outside. That kind of 'actual game' doesn't work at all over 4G plus you will only ever see the death screen clearly on a 6inch screen. Phones are for cow clickers.

9. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

I think you'd be surprised, the only people I have seen playing Fortnite (including myself) have used mobile phones while out and about - it works pretty well over 4G or on someones wifi if you're somewhere with some time to kill

Tags: Add Tags