1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel teases dGPU graphics for 2020 launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Aug 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I hope they hunt Nvidia down. Their monopoly has gone on too long.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Be interesting to see if they implement some kind of Optane/3D Xpoint memory configuration - I got a feeling it won't be an entirely conventional part.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Hopefully we can finally get a dGPU with decent Linux drivers now.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They plan to dominate GPUs

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The great debate remains: brand new architecture, Big Gen, or putting the tex units back into the next revision of totally-not-Larrabee-honest-guv-pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain Xeon Phi and bringing DX-on-x86 back up to date (oh hey, Tom Forsyth is back).
    Could be interesting, but would only make sense when paired with a good chunk of HBM (or HMC) to provide the low latency access 3D Xpoint cannot. As seen with the Radeon Pro SSG, there are very few workloads that can take advantage of discrete explicit slower 'memory' (though admittedly the SSD in the SSG is functionally equivalent to just putting a PCIe SSD on the PCIe bus next to the card and using regular DMA for direct access like everyone else does) so it needs to be closer to a backing store for an implicit cache to be a benefit rather than a detriment.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I just hope they don't do pull an nvidia and do a bunch of proprietary junk, we really don't need a 3rd variant of every monitor with IntelSync...

Last edited: 16 Aug 2018
    jb0 likes this.
  8. FatalSyntaxError

FatalSyntaxError What's a Dremel?

I think people are missing the biggest potential of this announcement.

AMD being team Red, Nvidia being team Green and Intel being team Blue and DX12 allowing for the mixing of GPU vendors....we can finally have true RGB GPU rigs.

Think of the new heights we can ascend to in modding with this!

:naughty::hehe:

The_Crapman, cobalt6700, jb0 and 4 others like this.
  9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Oh dear god, it all makes sense now.

MLyons likes this.
  10. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I havnt got a clue about GPU's anymore, my current GPU is a GTX 780 and it runs overwatch so I am happy with that. I cant keep up with AMD and Nvidia, so adding INtel into the mix too is going to complicate things more. Wonder if they will be VR ready too.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Nvidia has a ever growing lead over AMD in gpus, that will become more a chasm pretty soon. AMD have pretty much given up the chase.

If Intel is not a serious player in gpus come 2020 I would not like to see the price for a top end Nvidia gpu. As AMD are unlikely to be competitive in the high end.

Nvidia only issue could be a lack of people to get to upgrade as a 1060 is enough for a lot of people out there

12. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I'm hoping AMD gets their feet back under them.
    I know the whole bulldozer thing was weighing the entire company down, and now that it ISN'T maybe they can stop just keeping their head above water and start catching up.
    And I'm mixing metaphors terribly here.

Tags: Add Tags