1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Huawei gets caught cheating on benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Sep 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Who honestly buys a smartphone because of Geekbench scores, anyways? Even mid-range phones have more than enough CPU and GPU grunt to run everything available on the Play and Apple stores - I had a Moto G5 for a few months and in every day use it felt no slower than the LG G5 it replaced, or the Pixel that replaced it.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If that was the case they wouldn't have to make "cheat" mode available to all manually...

Their initial excuse of everyone cheats on those silly artificial benchmarks was much better.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I don't even look at benchmarks when buying a phone. It's hard enough to find one with the exact specs I want. I don't have the luxury of finding several I like, then comparing benchmarks.
    Feature like, large battery, quick charge, large storage (either large internal or SD support) and headphone jack take priority.
    As it happens I replaced my three year old Sony two weeks ago. The only phones that made it to the short list were a OnePlus and an Energizer.

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Understanding the processor's power is quite important, because it gives you some idea for how long the handset will provide satisfactory performance. I don't want to upgrade phones all that often, if possible!

It's more important for the Huawei phones because they are the *only* maufacturer who uses their Kirin processors. It's therefore pretty hard to work out how they stack up against the common Snapdragon processors.

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I disagree. If it has an internal battery, the battery dying will become an issue long before cpu/gpu power does. I've never replace a smartphone yet based on cpu power. It's either been an internal battery issue or a hardware failure (usually they've stopped reading the sim card for some reason).

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Who cares. The Kirin 970 is capable enough for anyone that's gonna buy a phone in this segment. The camera in the P20 pro though. No other phone comes close.

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I can't shake the feeling that Huawei are starting to loose what made them great. When I picked up my P10 pro, it was because my galaxy S7 screen had failed for the 4th time and when i looked for a new phone, the s9 was just released but I was agast at the £970 price tag. At £550-600 the P10 pro was a great bang for buck alternative.

However now with the P20 pro costing £800 Huawei have pushed themselves into Apple and Samsung territory. But the changes to the Huawei phones run deeper than just cost increases. I liked the P10 because it was sensibly designed, aluminum body, front monuted finger print sensor and a 3.5mm headphone jack, with 128gig of base storage, expandable if needed. The P20 has dropped half of that and gone for a glass body and no 3.5 jack but unlike the other glass bodied flagships, it does not have wireless charging. Other than aesthetics, there is no reason to have a glass body unless it is for wireless charging.

But I guess as Huawei keeps on their march to the top, it was inevitable they would start to copy the bad practices of both Apple and Samsung. Including dodgy benchmarks. :-/

Tags: Add Tags