1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony announces PlayStation Classic microconsole

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Sep 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Nostalgiaaaa!

But it depends on the emulation used, and the output filtering available. The Shield TV can already do native PS1 + CRT-GEOM filtering, so that's the image quality it would need to meet before it can compete on convenience. Looks like it would be one hell of a toy for the DIY Playstation Portable crowd (I can hear Ben Heck vibrating with excitement from over here).

MLyons likes this.
  3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Don't do it, leave your nostalgia for the past, in the past.

PS 1 games have aged terribly, much much more so than the timeless 2D pixel art of the 16bit era.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Spyro, Crash, MGS, Colony Wars, Final Fantasy 7-9, Croc, Rayman, Legacy of Kain, Vagrant story, etc are all just as fun to play today as they were 25 years ago.

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Probably better off buying a PS2 and a pile of games from ebay

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

But it's soooo cute.

But no. My original is still in the loft boxed up waiting for that big games room display with my PS2 and PS3... whenever that may be.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Depends on the game, Spyro, Metal Gear Solid and Colony Wars all look pretty good. I actually like PS1 MGS better than twin snakes.

This console looks guff, 20 games and no disc drive? Feck off Sony. Plus I still have a PS1 and 2.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For that money, you could likely buy a PS1 and 20 games..

Eh. It looks cool/cute, but not enough to be immediate-buy territory.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

You can bet that like with the NES and SNES mini, it's going to take about 5 minutes for enterprising register-pokers to figure out how to shove additional images onto there.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Are Sony also taking inspiration from Nintendo and hammering all the ROM sites with cease and desist actions, so they can capitalise on their back catalogue - you know the same back catalogue the ROM sites helped sustain interest in.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Would make more sense in my opinion if they just sold a PS1 emulator in the PS4 online shop for a fiver...
    I really don't need another piece of plastic tat.

12. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Nintendo's been harassing the pirates for years. Every time they kill one rawm site, a new one crops up.
    There's nothing special about the most recent round.

(Also, there's some evidence that the ROM images they used for the Wii Virtual Console were downloaded from those evil pirate sites they were always complaining about.)

13. liratheal

If someone else has already done the hard work for you, and that work is technically illegal, why bother paying them for their time or doing the work yourself..

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Begs the question, can you be prosecuted under the DMCA for re-publishing pirated works for profit even though you own the original IP? After all you are trading in stolen goods.

15. liratheal

It'd be an interesting court case to see the outcome of - But one I suspect will never happen. Any success achieved by the people who made the rom in the first place would be stamped right out as they were directed to court room B to stand trial for 'piracy'.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Would most likely come down to the question if they qualified the pirates work as his original creation or as a modified version of whatever official thing it was derived from / based on.

So for legal precedent we'd probably have to look at the music industry and what the threshold is for court tolerated amounts of "sampling".

17. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I just think it is hypocritical of them to rant about how these sites shouldn't exist while using them.

Tags: Add Tags