1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 Founders Edition Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Sep 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I don't think anyone wants to give Nvidia any credit for ripping us all off... The 1080 Ti has still got plenty of life left in it yet. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Sep 2018
    Guest-56605 likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

As I wrote elsewhere.....

I look at this and find it heart breaking that Nvidia could not just make a RT card for every one other than 20 series owners. IE, instead of being greedy and expecting us all to upgrade (which most of us won't for various reasons) they have left us out completely.

Even if the cards were twice as fast as their predecessors I could not justify that price. Mostly because the predecessors are more than good enough for everything other than RT.

So Nvidia want me to pay £1200 for RT. That's stupid. It's like me having a car and the engine blows and I am expected to buy a whole new car instead of just swapping out the engine.

A part of me hopes that people can have the restraint, and show Nvidia what a bad decision this is. Sadly I doubt it, which is part of the reason why I game mostly on a console now.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Two & half years its taken and they want £800-£1200 for this?

Overpriced garbage...Nvidia really does need to be taken down a peg or two.

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

As I said in a recent valuation thread for a 1080Ti...

"For most the 2080 and Ti are going to be out of reach financially and the bottomline is the 1080Ti is still a great card - I'm keeping mine and have zero interest in 1st Gen RTX."

I stand by that.

The 1080Ti is the best hardware investment I've ever made in recent years :thumb:

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hang on a minute, take a look at that 2080 Ti PCB shot (which also appears to be an embedded string rather than a linked image for some reason? WTH bit-tech CMS?):
    [​IMG]
    Notice how all 12 GDDR6 positions are filled? That looks like a Quadro RTX 8000 board to me. The 2080Ti PCB should have one position unpopulated due to the single knocked out memory controller channel (all the samples I've seen so far have been the second from left die on the bottom row).

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Not surprisingly I, too, cannot see a reason to invest that much money in first gen RTX cards and will happily keep my 1080 Ti.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Seems like a good boost from a new architecture, i guess it may improve over time, 25% over a 1080Ti, looks larger in 4k, if I could be arsed to rebuild my machine I might be tempted.

Though perhaps improvement is unlikely as the cards have been around for a while in the pro space?

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If by 'a while' you mean 'less than 1 month' for Quadro RTX. Even the developers working on pre-release RTX demos for the unveil were doing it with Volta cards rather than Turing up until a couple of weeks prior.
    It is kind of odd these are releasing so early after validation and start of volume production. They could have just started stockpiling dies and spent time getting RTX implementations ready in time for shipment, and it's not like they have any high-end competition to beat to market. I'd assumed Micron dripping GDDR5X for GDDR6 production was in response to cessation of demand from 10 series cards, but it could have been vice versa and forced Nvidia's hand.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Was having a look at the TPU review, they've got 39% over the 1080Ti at 4k. For reference, the gap between the 980Ti and the 1080 is bigger (slightly) than the gap between the 1080Ti and the 2080Ti. Obviously DLSS will help, though RT won't :p

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Performance is ok (well if we ignore that the 2080 performance should be where the 2070 is based on the 980ti vs 1070..) but the price is an absolute joke.

12. Panos

Panos Minimodder

@bit-tech why dont you add a better sample from the Vega 64? After all nobody can buy today a reference card but AIB one.

If remember correctly you have a Nitro+ or a Red Devil. But not the Strix has VRM design defect and needs thermal pads replacement to work properly.

Why don't you test those card on these reviews? Why not some downvolting on them (so less power consumption) which is proven that boost performance?
    I can provide you with sub 300W settings, that push almost 27000 graphic score on Firestrike, (and relative higher FPS in games) with just an 8600K. Let alone your 8700K you do the benchmarks.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

They could do a lot of different things to various cards, but that won't be representative of what you get out of the box. It would also take considerable time to tweak each card to it's optimum performance on top of the already considerable time it takes to run all the benchmarks. They also don't always get to keep the cards they review, so may only have the reference 64 left to play with.

I was impressed with the results of the Vega card, especially at lower resolutions where it lagged behind previously.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2018
    Dogbert666 likes this.
  14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"Normal" performance improvement only over the "old" cards for that price? Meh, I'll keep the 1080TI until 2nd gen Turing.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Performance improved, yes.

The value is awful since you're paying a premium for something that you can't even use yet.

Think i'll hang fire until I actually see RTX available in the real world, one definitely not to early adopt for me.

Why they pushed something out, in such a bad manner, with no games out on release day that can actually utilize its main selling point is beyond me.

Extreme? No. Potential for extreme, maybe. But not for me, certainly not yet.

16. The_Crapman

I like how they've released non full fat chips on both cards. Save those full chips that pass the grade for quadros for extra cash, let yields increase as it matures, then 12-18 months or so later we can have the 3 series with full gpu's and a clock bump. Then they'll have all the monies!

17. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Though you cannot buy reference card at all this year, as nobody makes them.
    How is representative? At least should use available to buy cards like the Nitro and Red Devil.

18. The_Crapman

Can
    You
    Really
    Not
    Get
    Reference
    Cards
    Anymore
    ?

If you want to buy a third party card and send it to them for their reviews then I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Along with a 1080 and 1080ti reference cards for comparison, since they don't appear to have them either.

There is also the option that Nvidia have specified which cards they can use in the review. In fact after a bit of research ALL review sites are using reference vega cards, even wccftech, so I'd say that's highly likely.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The NVLink connectors ain't cheap are they, $79 is more than some low-end cards cost. :eek:

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

What a joke. Feel bad for them 2080 pre orders. What a rip off.

Tags: Add Tags