1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA announces 'cloud native' Project Atlas

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Oct 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It may be claiming that, but when you cut through the guff it's not.
    Translation: it renders on a server and streams the video, like every other platform.
    Translation: the streamed games have a user content store (e.g. TF2 accessories).
    Translation: We're hosting the game streams using the same service that hosts the game servers and matchmaking servers. (I was going to say "on the same server cluster" but chances are EA will just host it on Azure/S3/similar rather than bothering with their own tin farm).
    Translation: If we can keep all the games and any mods on our own servers and out of those greedy customers hands who expect to be able to do what they want with it on their own machines, they will need to pay us no matter what if they want to access 'their' games.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Basically on live for EA games. I can see the appeal as the technology Sony, Nvidia etc interests me but a service owned by EA....no thanks. I simply don't trust them not to bake micro transactions into the service like costing extra to unlock achievements or even as far as every even numbered packet costs an extra £5 an hour.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

:hehe::lol:

5. MartyEF

MartyEF What's a Dremel?

Project Atlas? As in Atlas from Bioshock? Would you kindly give up all your rights? Would you kindly give us all your money? Would you kindly bend over..?

Tags: Add Tags