1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus launches ROG Phone gaming handset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Nov 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I find it completely bonkers that we need to think about cooling solutions for phones now. Not long until we get EXTREME GAMING ROXX0RZZZZZ editions with an active fan. :rolleyes:

But, and that's the scary part for customers, we've already reached the point where flagship phones simply can't keep the clock rate at max for sustained periods of time. Seems like the GHz craze seems to have reached the mobile market in full by now. And given that we have Intel's "up-to-15x-Watts" 9900K, which is a TDP 95W part according to Intel, in the PC market as well the industry might want to come up with better mainstream cooling systems soon. Or invest in R&D to find better solutions instead of cranking up those Hz.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's basically what this is: I mean, the active fan is detachable, but it's still bundled with the phone.
    I'm still holding out for a RISC-V desktop. (But not the HiFive Unleashed, one I can actually afford!)

4. perplekks45

RISC-V does sound interesting and given the relative success of the HiFive Unleashed (240k on Kickstarter is no mean feat for a niche product, is it?) there is hope that within the next 2-5 years we will see more mainstream adoption of it.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Very true. It's already kicking all the backside in the embedded space: Western Digital's already shipping products that use RISC-V, Nvidia's moving to RISC-V for the IO on its graphics products, Seagate hasn't said it's moving to RISC-V like Western Digital but there's a reason it's a RISC-V Foundation Platinum Member, there's a whole wealth of smaller companies launching RISC-V embedded stuff...

What interests me most, though, is in what free and open source silicon can do for native technology efforts. India's SHAKTI project recently booted Linux on the country's first ever home-grown CPU, based on the SHAKTI RISC-V core and manufactured on 40nm at a local foundry. Completely homebrew: no reliance on foreign design or manufacture (well, the original RISC-V IP was made in the US, but we'll forgive 'em that part.)

As soon as I can pick up a RISC-V machine that'll let me run Linux at equal to or greater performance than my current A10-5800K and for less than, say, a grand, I'mma upgrade. I might be waiting a few years, granted, but we'll get there eventually.

6. perplekks45

I really wonder if Germany will ever take part in chip production. We have GloFo here, yes, but you know what I mean. Wouldn't mind supporting local products in more markets than food and furniture. ;)

7. gosh

gosh Minimodder

[​IMG]

god i loved my gaming phone, battery packed up or it'd still be usable.

adidan likes this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

ASUS: No one is buying our £400 Zenfone 5Z...
    Marketing: I have an idea
    ASUS: Go on...
    Marketing: Slap the ROG logo on it and sell it as a £700 'gaming' phone
    ASUS: ****ing GENIUS!

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I believe cars are made in Germany too. :naughty:

10. perplekks45

I don't drive. :p

Tags: Add Tags