1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to ditch Edge for Chromium-based replacement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Dec 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Nadella is a very smart man. Focus on the business that matters. Stop reinventing the wheel.

It's just a shame that this means there's less competition and Google dictates more of how the internet is supposed to work.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, Mozilla's not happy - though I can't help but feel it'd be singing a different song if Microsoft had opted to build Edge 2.0 on Firefox instead...

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
  4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Yeah, but Mozilla shot themselves in the foot by changing Gecko from "an open-source HTML engine" to "the Firefox core".

I still feel bad for KHTML, though. They got so little back out of Apple's Webkit fork, and now they're just languishing in obsolete engine hell.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Does this mean that Edge will now suffer the same mediocre hardware acceleration as chrome etc? This is one area Edge is very good at imo, no matter what PC i've used, Edge will hardware accelerate videos far better than chrome, it uses less cpu power than chrome and is a lot smoother when using it. Firefox is a close second

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"Three cheers for more chromium copy paste"

No one ever.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Basically, Microsoft just said it's more work for them to de-couple edge from explorer than it is to replace edge. Interesting... :eyebrow:

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

In a semi-related story: I had a legacy settings window open in a fresh copy of 10 I was tweaking. I accidentally brushed F1, and it installed Explorer to bring up the help window.
    So what I expect in the future is that people with the skill level of my Mom will have Explorer, Edge, NU-Edge, whatever browser they had installed for them, and various piggyback browsers fighting for default dominance and clogging their hard drive.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Duel of the Fates plays every time they click a URL.

Cheapskate likes this.
Tags: Add Tags