1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Dec 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

It is fairly tempting given the price. If only I could justify spending £460 on a graphics card at the moment...

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Does anyone else find it funny that this card performs the same as one costing £140 once overclocked? I could get this card and a block for the price of the gaming z.

Are the 'A' chip cards really worth it? Is there another limiting factor which won't allow either chip beyond a certain speed allowing the "lesser" non A chips to catch up?

4. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Sorry, do you mean £1400 or is there a bargain £140 card that I'm not aware of? I'm hoping it's the latter.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, something's not quite right with that post, is it? Maybe he means "£140 more"?

6. The_Crapman

:duh: Yes I meant £140 more. Although I bet you could buy a 2080ti for £1.40 if you were also holding a gun.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

It's hard to say. As far as I know, Nvidia is the one binning them and passing them onto partners at a higher price, and we don't know its methodology. I also *think* that partners are literally not allowed to sell OC variants without using more expensive 'A' chips, but don't quote me on that. When OCing it's always silicon lottery, but if it were my cash I'd roll the dice and go non-A, whack the power limit up, and get a super stable OC of maybe 1900MHz on core (when boosting) and 5% or so on mem. That's only on air though, haven't tested either on water!

MLyons likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

Big block, modded bios, ALL THE POWER!!!!
    Minimal gains.

EVGA Black on sale at £440 on scan! Just a shame there's no blocks for it. And my next paycheque is likely to be around £600 lighter thanks to ssp. :sigh:

Last edited: 19 Dec 2018
    Omnislip likes this.
  9. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I know the price has gone down on these considerably .. and it is a nice card, I still think its too much for a 3rd tier card. I know with inflation over the years .. yadda yadda yadda but thats still the thick end of nearly ££500. Thats still an awful lot of money to price in to a mid range system.

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The problem is Nvidia simply no longer regards the 70 series as 'mid range' anymore. That's now the preserve of the upcoming 2060.

11. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

No real reason for for me to upgrade from 1070, runs everything I need at 1440p, it's a bit like buying a DX12 card before DX12 has launched.

It's not really future proofed because by the time a compelling catalogue of worthy games are available, the next gen cards will be out and they will be the ones to really have.

Also - Navi is coming, that may (lets hope) be a more relevant card.

Tags: Add Tags