1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs It's time for a change of motherboard aesthetics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Colour-neutral is a good thing, ffs don't knock it, it took the design plebs long enough to grasp the concept and now you want to crusade against it...?? :nono: :eyebrow: :duh: :wallbash:

3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Bring back green PCBs and plain-grey aluminium heatsinks.

4. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Also some puke yellow/brown please. The combination of the two is really quite fetching.

jb0 likes this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

My only problem with the current crop of boards with RGBitis is that the pursuit of aesthetics is coming at the expense of performance. All that extra circuitry and plastic shite over the top of the VRMs and bridges affects cooling. Even if it's all turned off the board still runs hotter than if it had some whacking great heat sinks there instead of plastic stuff with blinkies underneath. On that note I still think Asus' ROG Z68 and Z77 boards are some of the best looking.

I'd love some boards that drop the lighting effects for actual effective heat sinks, even if they were Noctua Vomit coloured.

Corky42 likes this.
  7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I asked for neutral boards for so long, so now that we have them I’m rather pleased. That said, I do agree that they all look so similar, it’s just lazy design. NZXT’s N7 board may be rubbish, but it does look unique compared with all these others, just goes to show not everything has to be identical.

I’d like to see some more interesting uses of different materials and shapes. We occasionally get a hint of something new but it always fizzles out, I guess most folks just do want things to look much different to how they are now.

8. Dogers

Dogers What's a Dremel?

Yep, those were the days :)
    https://goo.gl/images/MrXZpf

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Which would match the Granny's Lingerie colour scheme that Noctua seem to think is a winner.

perplekks45 and Mister_Tad like this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So do we need to ditch "samey" colour neutral RGB boards and then put dummy RGB memory in them?

I can't keep up. A month is a long time in tech. :eyebrow:

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I have a windowless case so couldn't care less what colour the pcb is, I just don't want to pay for a multitude of coloured lights I won't see and don't want.

bawjaws, perplekks45 and David like this.
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

ZOMG! does this spell the beginning of the end of RGB? Woohoo! The bitch is (almost) dead.

Seriously though, I'd love to see the end of the RGB sausage machine. The "RGB everything, coz it makes everything awesome" marketing shtick ran it's course years ago, but they're still flogging the dry dusty bones of that dead horse, and enthusiasts the world over have to accept a design idea appealing to 13 year olds.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2019
    Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I love minimalist component design, but I wouldn't describe any of the boards pictured as minimalist. Minimalist means functional, to me. I don't like huge hunks of plastic and interconnected strips of metal between the heatsinks.

Speaking of this, though,
    I do occasionally get the opportunity, in my work, to inherit and then immediately throw away boards like this. Nothing else gets flung into the scrap box with quite as much enthusiasm or force.

edzieba likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've told every manufacture company employee something very close to this.

16. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

That makes me sad. Old hardware needs love too.

MLyons likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Being back copper heatsinks!

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I miss old colourful boards without RGB. Just a quick ddg and look at all the pwetty colours!

[​IMG]

It was/is cheap OEM crap, but full-cover was a breath of fresh air, wasn't it?

I said it before and I won't tire repeating it: I don't mind LED/RGB anything, but I don't like it being forced down my throat. Plus there are possible/obvious downsides like cooling performance, additional complexity in the circuits and, most important, price.

19. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Naw, Noctua uses motherboard colors on heatsinks.
    Fans should be black. Always. Heatsinks bare aluminum.

THIS is what a motherboard shoud look like. Anything else is unacceptable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Jan 2019
  20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

How hard is it to have top performance and real features but zero aesthetics at mid-range price?

A lot of people couldn't care less about the "aesthetics" of their components hidden inside their computer case. They'd rather spend slightly less.

It's like scientists spending more time writing proposals for grant money than doing science.
    It's like buying top level trim cars and get rubbish ride quality due to the massive rims for showroom looks.
    It's like going from mid-priced to expensive branded designer cloths, it feels similar only improvement is how it looks to other people.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2019
Tags: Add Tags