1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking 3570K +Sabertooth Z77 overclock stability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pointy, 20 Dec 2012.

1. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have had my new system up and running for a while, (see this thread and this one ) and generally it has been very stable. I have had 2 BSOD since the upgrade, one was caused by me. ( Trying to upgrade drivers while a game was minimised :blush: )

I had played hours and hours of Borderlands 2 without issues, then I did start to get a few crashes to desktop. Didn't think much of it at the time as it only happened a couple of times. Then a couple of days ago I got the rFactor 2 Beta and fired up my Logitech driving force wheel. I can't seem to play for more than 5 mins without a crash to desktop. After looking in the event viewer I could see that that faulting module was 'nvd3dum.dll', so I updated the drivers but still the same. Nobody in the Beta forums is complaining so i guess it is my system.

Anyway, while I was in the event viewer I noticed a bunch of WHEA Internal Parity errors, after some googling, it would seem that these are quite common on overclocked systems, and is the next step down from a BSOD. Meaning the system/overclock is not 100% stable.( Even though it primed for 12 hours without error.)

I ran Prime95 for a few hours and although I didn't get and errors in prime itself, I had a bunch of the WHEA errors again. So I upped my core offset voltage a bit and left it priming overnight. This morning, after about 16 hours, there were no prime or WHEA errors, and the temps were still maxing out at about 70c. I haven't had time to try the game yet, but am hoping this will fix it.

After this long ramble (hoping it may help someone else), the question is anyone else running a 3570K on a Z77 Sabertooth @ 4.5Ghz ish? What settings have you tweaked?

From memory (at work now, so can't check), I have only changed the multiplier and core offset. 45 for the multi and I think the offset is now 0.125. Should I be tweaking anything else? The memory is running on XMP profile @ 1.50v.

Regards,

Les

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

My advice would be run Intel Burn Test on maximum setting for 20 runs. That will tell you if the overclock is stable or not.

Edit: IBT is (without having to fiddle with stuff) far more demanding on the entire system than P95 is. I never use P95 now unless I need to test something in particular like RAM etc.

3. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply, I remember reading mixed reactions about IBT, which is why I stuck with Prime.

I don't want to count my chickens too soon, (they have a habit of coming back and pecking me on the ass!), but I was able to run the game for 2 hours last night without a crash. No sign of any WHEA errors either, so looking like my overclock was borderline. Chances are I could get away with a slightly lower vcore offset, but as the temps are ok, I will leave it where it is and see how it behaves.

Regards,

Les

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... at least 20. Preferably want it to last 50+

I'm at 4.8 for everday on a 2500k... couldn't tell you what settings though as my notes have gone walkabouts and my PC is in pieces.

Edit: Pretty sure I just followed this guide http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage for stability

Last edited: 21 Dec 2012
  5. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums