1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel teases 'Odyssey' graphics events

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Considering how underwhelming Intel's hardware launches have been for what, the past decade? Combined with the fact the guy heading up their dGPU devision is the same one responsible for Vega (I presume?), I ain't gonna bother getting excited...

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I don't think they will even attempt to go after 2080 or 2080Ti beaters with their first gen of hardware. Intel will be more interested in where the money is, The $200-$400 GPU market.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I honestly don't think they'll release a consumer card first. They might just go for productivity cards and have a derivative consumer card in the second or third generation. Kinda like AMD did it with the Instinct MI50 and the Radeon VII.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's possible, but there's something to be said for the fact that the "Odyssey" is part of the Intel Gaming site and is to be formally announced at GDC - both at odds with a planned workstation card launch.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I don't think Raja had anything to do with Vega? unless they "borrowed" another employee and I missed it? I know they've been doing that lately.. But yeah, Vega was Fury and Raja did Polaris. Which, I *think* are different technologies.

If they hired the guy who did Vega they will go bust pretty quickly IMO. Vega is like this.

[​IMG]

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

AMD have been on GCN arch since the 7970 - yeah, it's been heavily revised through the generations, but until Navi comes along, there hasn't been a substantial leap in the way AMD cards work since 2012 (HMB memory is probably the single biggest differentiation).

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Cue the announcement that 'Odyssey' is a Battle Royale game and much trollol-ing from Intel.

jb0 likes this.
  9. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Even Navi isn't that substantial of a leap. Navi is still GCN based, but apparently they have a way to get around the 4-something-thousand CU limit that has been stopping them from just adding more power through more compute units. Navi will see raised CU's, but will still be based on GCN. The next tech beyond that should be a brand new arch.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sounds ... sound. I guess we'll know quite soon.

11. Merglet

Merglet What's a Dremel?

Article is incorrect. Intel first entered the discrete graphics market with the i740 in 1998. I remember reading the original review in Maximum PC way back in the day when people bought magazines. So assuming this comes to fruition, this will be the second discrete graphics card released by Intel. Just sayin'.

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...how on Earth did I forget about the i740? I'll update the piece - thanks for the trip down memory lane!

MLyons likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Be fair to yourself, i'm surprised you could remember your own name after the Unigine test fest.

An Intel GPU though. Good for the market, could be great, will probably be expensive.

Mind you nvidia may have made it so Intel get into a market where they are better value than a competitor.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! Still got more of that ahead - nine machines to go, although as two of the machines (an Intel Core i3 NUC and an Intel Core i5 NUC) are identical bar the CPU in 'em I may just review one and mention the other as a cheaper/more expensive option in the body text (depending on which I decide to cover).

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Wait a minute... Intel? A project starting with "O"? Project Offset rides again!

16. Merglet

Merglet What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the shoutout ;) I know I didn't buy one! You did a great correction. Well done sir.

Tags: Add Tags