1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DCMS publishes Online Harms White Paper

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Apr 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Teaching and education has been in decline for ages. Combined with parents unable to raise their children to cope with the world - you end up right where we are. Government trying (incompetently) to filter voices.
    Our culture is not doing a great job of nurturing the future. You can't change the culture - but you sure can move country (for now)

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I thought it was parents who protected children, stupid me.

Also saying you want the UK to be the best place to start and grow a digital business seems a bit of a contradiction when you're putting up barriers to entry.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Another step towards making companies responsible for problems they didn't create (alone). When will our politicians finally give up their stupid game of hiding instead of facing the music and bringing change where it matters? Our education is a farce, teachers are either useless or completely in over their heads, kids are left to themselves (and their smart devices) by parents who either don't care or manage to do any proper parenting, and the state and media in unison cry about the sinister modern digital world being the reason for all of our problems.

This is getting ridiculous by now.

5. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Based on what? As a teacher all I've seen over the past decade+ is a massive push and increase of standards relating to education especially in regards to teaching about the use of social media.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

How does it feel to be the one in a million?

Honestly, I've not heard anything like your statement about the standard of teaching from anybody in the last decade or more.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

This isn't going to end well. Imagine if I compared someone to a horse.

8. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Based overall on the average capabilities of those finishing education - be it university or secondary school. Employers are hardly jumping at the chance to hire them (apart from the top end of course).
    If you're statement were true - a graduate today would be more capable than the same graduate ten years ago....
    I've been doing interviews for almost 15 years, the decline is enormous to the degree we're developing our own post secondary school 6 month course on how to be effective and why it matters. We'd not be spending huge resources if the quality was higher - especially when there were plenty in the past that didn't require this. Perhaps standards of individual teachers have increased, but the material and the outcome is woeful.

9. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Discussing this in an IT forum is possibly not for the best. It will just lead to off topic posts on my part at the least ^^.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2019
  10. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Don't worry mate, us teachers are used to being blamed for most of the modern day ills! ;)

[​IMG]

Yes this is in jest (partly)...

Tags: Add Tags