1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 360 Game Save Backups

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by skpstr, 4 Mar 2009.

1. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know of an easy way to backup 360 game saves? I have an Elite.

I have had a google and the general concensus is the you can copy some game saves to a 360 memory card, but that's it.

The reason I ask is that I was playing last night and the 360 kept freezing, a couple of times during the game, but also at console startup. I also had a red light on the lower right quadrant once, which according to an error list I found could be any of a number of potential hardware issues and as no actual error number was displayed pinning down which bit isn't possible. :sigh:

I'd prefer not to lose any of my games saves if there is a problem and I know my son would be quite upset to lose all his progress in Lego StarWars:TCS.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I think an XSATA device (can be found on play.com for around £30 I think) can be used to back up all data on a 360 HDD but I have heard it's a bit fiddley to use.

It's basicly a device that sits between the 360 and the hard drive and has a usb interface to the PC. gave saves and downloads can then be moved between the PC and the 360.

Saying that though, if the hardware does red ring of death, when you send the 360 back to microsoft you'll be told to keep the hard drive while they repair it so you shouldn't lose any game saves.

3. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info, especially on not having to send back the HDD, as I have just got home and switched on the 360 to be greeted by the dreaded RROD. :waah:

Looks like it going back. :sigh:

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

As Mark said, memory card or xsata kit. I have memory cards myself. Pretty easy to backup but expensive to buy unless you can get lucky on ebay.

5. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

6. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Fortunately it is still covered by the RROD warranty so I have arranged for a repair and as Blademrk said I had to remove the HDD and all the other bits, so, hopefully, when it comes back all my game saves should be intact. I'll have to have a trawl of ebay to see if they got any memory card bargains so I can do the backup when I get it back, once bitten twice shy. :D

7. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

xsata is defo your best bet for backup of save games as for when you box comes back yes all your saves will be fine ull have to "download" all your game content agen as it saves a tiny bit of data to the xbox its self this will take a few sec's as its only part of the file welcome to the rrod club

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

my bioshock save was too big for a 512mb memory unit on its own.

I took my drive out of the caddy and hooked it up to a PC

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Is the filesystem readable by windows or do you need to download something to enable that?

I'm getting a little paranoid as i have a couple of save blocks on my last remnant save file that cannot be written to (xbox live connection failed message, shows as corrupted data afterwards)
    Bad sectors on drive?

it's be nice if i could scandisk the drive

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Problem with memory cards is that some games cannot be copied from the hard drive to them. They are essentially DRM'd saves to stop people unlocking items by hacking them with PC's etc. Forza2 and Viva Piñata are games which suffer this issue and its very annoying if you need to move them from one console to another.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah it's a pain in the ass when a game doesn't allow you to transfer it. Love my memory card, if nothing else it's great as a way of transporting your profile over to a mates house, the recovery time for a 20Mb profile is quite horrendous (remember some save data is stored on your profile).

12. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

I posted the 360 off to Frankfurt on the 5th. I received an email on the 9th to say they had received it and were putting it in a job queue and gave me a link to check progress. I checked it yesterday and it said the unit had been repaired and was in the process of being shipped back. I'm hoping it will be back by the beginning of next week, if it is I will be one happy bunny. :D

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

xplorer360

14. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

you can put a usb port on the xbox 360 memory card.
    it is basicly a usb por but insted of using 5v its 3.3v. you can wire a usb port up to it (with the right resistor) and it will work fine.

Pin 1 - GND
    Pin 2 - Data +
    Pin 3 - Data -
    Pin 4 - Power
    Pin 5 - GND

i cant find where i saw it now....
    but you can back everything thats on it up on your pc.