1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 360 video service has issues, Gates compares PS3 to brick

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Nov 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

HA! wishful thinking, bricks my arse, probably the only contributing factor to MS gaining more sales next chrimbo is the lower price, which will be more appealing to parents.

3. TheSaladMan

TheSaladMan New Member

Please, there's no reason to get a PS3 and there won't be any time soon, it's an awfully difficult to program for mess. Plus there is (And still will be this time next year) better games for the 360, I know I'd rather get Gears Of War, Halo 3 and Dead Rising than the one good game that's coming out for the PS3 (MGS4) which might be coming to 360 now anyway because Kojima is teh win and knows when he's chosen the wrong console.

4. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK New Member

Sony Are Smug Gits!!!

Sony Are Smug Gits!!!

It's only right that Microsoft's Big Bill is bitting back, It's true though if sony made Tird's with sony somehow stamped in to them people would buy em its a fact.......

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I love the fact he compares Sony's shipping volume to a "rounding error" - so true! Sony has cocked this up so badly, with their absurd delays, non-existent stock and stupidly high pricing. And to be honest if they hadn't insisted on shoe-horning blu-ray in there, it would all have been so much easier for them.

6. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Indeed

Can anyone name a PS3-exclusive game that is out now or in the near future that you could point to and say "there's your deal-breaker"? A game that is worth the massive jump in price and all the stress of getting a PS3 right now?

Last edited: 25 Nov 2006
  7. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Halo 3.

8. flabber

flabber New Member

Not entirely true... the PS3 has numerous games that will appeal to the masses;
    Tekken and Final Fantasy are just 2 of them. It's true that it's harder to code a
    game for the PS3, but after you know how to code for the PS3 it will become
    easier after a while right? ;)

Besides that, the PS3 is a lót quieter then the XBOX360, has more arcade-style
    games and has a free online-gaming service (even though not everyone thinks
    it's good). And on top of that, you don't need to buy external devices to play HD.
    The XBOX360 needs an external HD-DVD player and such to be able to do that.

I think that it will be a close win for either one of them next year. XBOX is
    US, PS3 is Asia... and in the end Europe will buy them both just as much :)

9. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Yes, but when are they appearing? At the moment the PS3 doesn't exactly have a stunning games library

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Bad link, use this one...
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/17

I think people missed what Bill was saying. I don't think he was calling the PS3 a brick so much as saying that Sony could sell 80,000 physical, masonry bricks to fanboys just because it had a Sony logo on it. Those bricks might be handy for throwing through your TV becayse your new PoS3 doesn't play nice with it.

11. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Heh a brick! My friend has a 360 and it might as well be a brick. We go over to his house to play 360 and within 15 minutes his N64 is out. By this I mean that the 360 has no truly amazing games (Gears of War is decent but I wouldn't go so far as saying it is amazing). This is after more than 6 months (I think) on the market. What I'm saying is that we should really give the PS3 this much time before judging it as a console.

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Didnt people call the original XBOX a brick when that came out as it was a huge M***** F***** compared to any previos console.

End of the day the PS3 will sell far more than any other console as history shows. Nintendo are struggling to stay in, and useing a new joypad hopeing it will save them. Nintendo should do what Sega did. I can see the Xbox 360 doing MS well but the battle really is between Sony and MS, not Nintendo.

Consoles sold

PS1 = 102.49m
    PS2 = 111.25m
    xbox = 24m
    SNES = 49m
    N64 = 32.93m
    Game Cube = 21.20.

Numbers do the talking that no fanboy can ignore. Nintendo have been loosing sales since the SNES and should just leave the console business and stick to where it is strong. The handhelds.

Bring on the 360 and ps3 :)

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Sales of the XBox360 up to Sep 30th are 6 million. The thing is, unless the PS3 has next, next generation graphics, the games aren't really going to look more spectacular than some of the xbox360 games do at the moment. The 'gameplay' videos showcasing the PS3's graphical abilities were quite sensational when they were released but looking at them now aren't all that special imo. There's no wow factor. Bit meh. I think the only one that would sell it for me is Heavenly Sword and it's pretty much like a few games that have been and gone before, just prettier.

14. M4RTIN

M4RTIN New Member

the problem with them videos is they were fakes, i was truly wowed by the old motorstorm and killzone videos. then i found out they werent even real, and were just "Expected graphics" i thoguht sod waiting for that then and bought a 360 a few days later as i could see real games on that that looked just as good.

15. cebla

cebla New Member

I wish people would stop saying things like this. As long as Nintendo continue to make a good profit from their consoles (which they have) then why would they stop making them?

16. Hummingbird

Hummingbird New Member

I'll admit, I'm leaning towards the PS3 in terms of fanboyism. The 360 has a few good things going for them, such as a slightly lower price, a year head start, I guess easier to code for, and probably a few other things my fanboyism is blocking out.

However, as far as I'm concerned Sony has already won the battle. Every month since the 360's release the ps2 has beat it in sales, and the ps3 will likely achieve the same thing once the supply and demand hit some sort of equalibrium.

The ps3 has a greater potential to have better game as the developers can develop for two fairly similar consoles. Mainly the both of the systems having hard drives to utilize along with blu-ray allowing the developers to create games to their greatest potential. The 360 on the other hand only has a hard drive comes standard in one of their systems, as the developers want to make the greater profit they will develop for the lesser system. I could go on all day comparing the systems.

I played a demo of motorstorm at target and was pretty amazed, it could have been because I had been playing my friends 360 on a non-hdtv, which was still pretty impressive, but the playing the ps3 in hd was awsome. And I can't wait to get my own ps3.

In terms of who will win the console war, only time will tell what system wins, and we will likely have our answer a year or so from now.

17. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x New Member

Did the xbox 360?

18. Aman

Aman New Member

Dam Bricks must be some high tech thing then.

19. RedDethX

RedDethX New Member

Well as a Sony fanboy, you all probably know what I'm going to say, but they (Sony) has let me down and I do have a 360, so...I think 360 is actually gonna do fairly decent this "Console war". Partly because they actually have GOOD games this time around (Halo does not count -.- I think it's just like any other FPS imo) but....only time will tell.

20. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

time more than anything will tell. the 360 and PS3 are like apples and oranges imo - whilst both aimed at gamers they shoot for entirely different demographics. I think visual appeal will do a lot for sony, and the 360 will have to rely largely on the content created for it. Given most major releases (excluding single console franchises) are ported to both consoles at time of release, the 360 relying on exclusive content is pretty weak. Sony shooting themselves in the foot so many times over the PS3 is also a bit weak... time will tell hey?

Tags: Add Tags