1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 360 video service has issues, Gates compares PS3 to brick

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Nov 2006.

1. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Alright, heres the one on RSX specs http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=15646

Heres the one that includes the exact 7800GTX 512 Specs
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=h2k5512&page=2

One on XENOS Specs
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9487/ATI-Releases-Xbox-360-GPU-Technology-Papers/

The one on X1900 specs
    http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1900/specs.html

So after a closer inspection of the specs the XENOS looks like a cut down X1900 series boasting a unified shader architecture, an EDRAM buffer, and different clock speeds. Also if you read here: http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1458/The-Power-of-the-Xbox-360-GPU/p1/ it mentions that the XENOS never had a R-Series code name, that was simple speculation. The XENOS codename is actually C1.

2. R_H

R_H New Member

The BR drive is a) slot loading--more prone to failure and b) is integrated

MS' approach makes sense, external drives until the format war nears the end, if HD-DVD becomes dominant, they'll more than likely integrate it into the '360, if it doesn't they'll offer a BR external drive.

3. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Too bad there is no way Microsoft will go BR. Their partners would eat them alive! :D

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

Slot loading drives are no more prone to failure than any normal drive. I've been using my slot loading CD player in my car for years and after all the abuses it goes through (extreme temperature changes, bumps, rattles) it still works fine.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I agree. I have a slot loading Pioneer DVD drive in my pc which has lasted over 7 years i think. Still plays DVD's and my DVD games with no proms. My Tray loading DVD writer failed within 2 years.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

duhhh!!!! yes, expecialy if it had that cool A.I.!!!!1111
    for me what counts is the quality of the game it self, not the graphics, if i told you the games that i have been playing hand having fun with, and the games that i did not have fun you would notice that ones that i liked had basic/old graphics and the ones that i did not like were about graphics and no playability.

i have to admit that the PS3 is a great value for its money. i simply don't like it because:

A) its sony
    B) the lack of availability
    C) the irritating fan boys (i am not a fan boy of any console)
    D) they made lots of mistakes with this one.....

7. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Good graphics + good gameplay for the win! :D :rock: :clap:

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'll toss in a few cents here...

Graphics: From what I've witnessed firsthand so far, the 360 has the best graphics by a landslide. All three side-by-side, the PS3 looked only marginally better than the PS2's better games; nothing I'd consider worthy of being called HD, regardless of what the actual resolution was. IMO, it was about the same as the Wii. Of course, the 360 is the most mature so games will be taking more advantage of the hardware. But with the PS3 being touted as a graphics demon, it's an incredibly disappointing launch. Give it a year and we'll see.

Gameplay: Wii wins hands down. I don't like racing games at all, but Excite Truck was in the demo box. And it was a blast to play. Of course, this is based off of a single game, but I know there are plenty of games that I want to play. 360 has Gears of War which I'd like to try some time, and the PS3 has nothing that interests me at all.

Testimonials: I've heard NOTHING but bad things from PS3 owners. Stuff that equated to "I stood in line for three days so I could play the thing, but now that I have it's going to ebay because it flatly sucks". Haven't heard much out of the 360 crowd recently, which I can only assume translates to them being content. Of the couple people I know with a Wii, it's been great.

Price: No need to comment here really.

Media: If Blu-Ray wins, then PS3 owners are lucky. If not, they're screwed. Every single time Sony's backed a competing format, they've lost. So far, there's been nothing to indicate a change. Chances are HD-DVD will do little better, and both will lose to HD downloads (especially with both sporting even MORE abusive DRM schemas), but if one of the formats wins, I'd put my money on HD-DVD simply because it's so much cheaper.

Personally, I'm buying a Wii. Finally I've got a good chance of actually laying my hands on one, as I know how many my local Worst Buy has in stock and that they expect a line, and I've got a friend who works there who's calling me to let me know the situation tonight. I'm inclined to think that availability is worse around here than most places, but I couldn't say. The 360 is certainly available, and the PS3's availability is an absolute joke.

I'm not going to convince any fanboys here, and I'm not trying to. But you know Nintendo did something right when both Sony and Microsoft were saying that they were competing to have the system sitting next to the Wii. If everyone with a this-gen console ends up with a 360 or a PS3 as well as a Wii, I think Ninty's the real winner here, especially since they're profiting on each box sold (rumor has it that MS finally is; Sony's losing about $300 a system)

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that is great, but todays standards are GREAT GRAPHICS + poor gameplay.

and as usual Firehed says things that i agree with :D

10. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

:Cough: Half-Life 2 :cough: FEAR :cough: Oblivion :cough: Far Cry :cough: Splinter Cell :cough: BF2 :cough: Dawn of War :cough:

Sorry, I had a cat caught in my throat :D

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

everyone knows that those games rock..... except maybe for oblivion but that is an issue with me, please consider the amount of games that you did not consider that have either bad story lines or bad gameplay or both, and have really cool graphics and are reviewed and given 6 points and under just because they have uber cool graphics they don't get 0....... and really never see the light of day except in the bargain bins.

12. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Tell you what. Name 5. Because I can't think of any :p

Not to be indignant or anything but I haven't heard of any that have uber cool graphics that suck terribly (I do agree that some bargain bin games have semi-uber cool graphics, but nothing groundbreaking in there (maybe some HDR but that effect is a little dated now))

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The new Sonic game, although graphically superior to previous releases, is a dog to play. The camera is on speed and makes no effort to show what you need to see as you zip by at 500mph towards death. Very unplayable.

14. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Just because the graphics are superior doesn't make them good :thumb:
    I had a look at the new Sonic game, the engine looks somewhere between Half-Life and Half-Life 2 graphics. The water and lighting effects look decent but the textures are absolutely awful. That being said.. 2D Sonic for the win! :D :rock: :naughty:

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

my memory fails me in these crappy occasions when i have to remember bad memories... so i use google and drink a beer to slow the pain.....

1)SUPER MAN

2) UBER SOLDIER

3) SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

4) X-MEN

5) DoA extreme boobs.... err... voleyball

you asked for 5 and most of these i searched for the 360... they use good licenses from movies or other games and slap good graphics engines on them but forget that the game needs gameplay...... there are many more..... especially for pc and some of them have very good and uber graphics for their time..... don't make me put up with this pain again..... i am all out of beer. :wallbash: .

with that i agree.

16. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

1)Super Man: Graphics=crap
    2)Uber Soldier: Graphics=crap
    3)Sonic the Hedgehog: Graphics=crap
    4)X-Men: Graphics=crap
    5)DOAXBV 2: Graphics=decent (i'll give you that one :D )

Anyway, I was referring to games with groundbreaking graphics, and none of these are really like that. I will admit than some bad games look good, but nothing amazing. Don't bother looking up more, I'll just be happy with my opinion and you can be happy with yours :thumb:

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Ta10n dude, please tell me what you smoke.... i want some...... and i was not trying to change your opinion ;).

18. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Thats for me to know and you to find out ;) JK

Anyway you proved your point. You think PS3 sucks, I think it owns. No real point arguing when were not getting anywhere :D

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the PS3 does not suck (that much anyway, it is all about pure power and functionality.... it is the swiss knife approach), who sucks is sony.....
    Canadian.... has the PS3 and the wii been released there?
    only time will tell if any of them will die or survive anyway......

20. Ta10n

Ta10n New Member

Yep they have both been released. A person I know got a Wii (he waited 5 hours). Apparently it is incredibly fun, but after hearing him describe the gameplay i'm not sure I would find it amusing. Anyway I second you, only time will tell. Take a snapshot of the 360 situation right now and then compare it to the PS3 and Wii situation in 6 months. Then we'll see who's got the console market in the bag :D

Swiss Army Knife!! :rock: :clap: :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Nov 2006
Tags: Add Tags