1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling 360mm radiator/case matching help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Si_the-dude, 24 Jan 2013.

1. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Morning guys

I was hoping for a bit of water cooling related help. I feel like I’ve read a zillion threads and articles and still don’t feel that much further forward. Basically tomorrow I’m going to buy either the XSPC Raystorm D5 AX360 kit, OR a collection of bits from EK including the Supreme Elite CPU block, one of their bay reservoirs and the XTX 360 Coolstream rad.

The EK rad is 400x130x64mm
    The XSPC rad is 406mmx128x40 (46mm at ports)

It’s to cool an OC’d I5 3570k and a 7970 (and probably a second 7970 next month). I have an NZXT Phantom full tower case. What I want to know is, which cases will support these two rads/kits without modding? – For up to about £150-£170. I know the NZXT Switch does but to be honest I’ve gone off NZXT’s plastic look. I’ve really gone off the Phantom (the 820’s are pretty sexy though) and want a new case which is more sleek and subtle – Fractal Design Define XL like basically. My modding skills aren’t great yet and I have limited tools at the moment so am really trying to get something which will support my kit out of the box if possible.

Am I asking too much!? Any help with this is greatly appreciated folks.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hmm.. You can fit one in the 5.25" bays of something like a CM Storm Stryker..

But to be honest, if you want a case that'll take a triple straight in, you'd be looking at something like a Corsair 800D..

I'd reccomend trying to fit the radiator into an XL.. You'll only need a drill, a jigsaw/dremel and some hand files. Yes, its nervy doing it, but its stupid rewarding knowing you did it.

(And the XL is a pretty bawler case TBH..)

3. Si_the-dude

Cheers for the reply Mankz. I love the 800D and have been thinking about trying to stretch the budget to pick one up. You're right about the XL being baaad ass - it would be great to get my first bit of proper modding done too. I'm really torn here between getting the 800D and selling my Phantom and current closed loop cooler VS. getting the XL and maybe even practicing by modding the Phantom first!

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

To be honest, you can practice on just a sheet of metal..

And if you can cut and mount a radiator and grill you can then do most things.. Its just the learning curve is quite steep. Have a look at some of Bill Owen's (Monstermawd) videos on Youtube, as they're usually very helpful and intuitive.

I'm a big fan of doing it myself, but having said that, if you get an 800D, it should last you for eternity.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

A HAF X will take a 360 rad in the roof but it really isnt sleek and subtle.

I really recommend saving about £50 more and investing in a TJ07. Its a classic for watercooling and it's really stunning in the flesh.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

800D > TJ07.

Pleeeease.

7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Nah.

8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Yah.

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Out of the cases I have had I have to say the best is my current Switch 810.

The cases that I have had that will fit a 360x60mm rad at the top are as follows.

Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Xigmatek Elysium
    NZXT Switch 810

Out of those 3 only the switch 810 would allow you to run push/pull fans without having 3 fans on the outside of the case.

Those 3 cases will also allow for a 2nd rad to be fitted at the bottom of the case as well, however it does require some modding on the 800D and the Elysium as the Switch 810 is basically just a case of removing some screws and away you go.

I have also had the Coolermaster Cosmos II, and whilst that will allow you to use I think it's either a 360 or 420 rad in the roof, you have to make sure that it's 35mm thick or less because otherwise you won't be able to fit your motherboard.

The Cosmos II will allow you to fit a 360 or 420 rad in the roof as well as 2x 240mm rads in the bottom, without any modding or if you squeeze it in you can fit a 360x60mm rad in the bottom with push/pull fans but you have to make sure your psu is, 160mm or less in length otherwise you won't be able to fit it in.

I tried the Silverstone TJ107 and didn't like it, but I have already set my mind on my next case being the Corsair Obsidian 900D when it's released.

As a side note, you will need to add a 2nd radiator to the loop if you add a second 7970 because otherwise you are going to get high temps on everything in the loop.

I would suggest the case you would need if you didn't want to mod the case would be the Switch 810, because you could have 2 loop's if you wanted 1 for the cpu and 1 for the 7970's if you do go Crossfire.

If you do want to mod the case then you could probably go for the Obsidian 800D if you cannot wait and stretch to the cost of the 900D as that will, support more watercooling gear than any of the cases I have mentioned without needing to be modded.

**Edit**

Still got some pic's so will add them now for you of 3 of the cases.

Xigmatek Elysium, not a very good pic but will let you judge the size etc.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9596/20120324174810.jpg

My old PC in the Xigmatek with a 60mm rad in the roof.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7997/20120314175238.jpg

Cosmos II Finished after allot of messing with it.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/494/20120430175107.jpg

The Switch 810 Currently

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9876/34042145.jpg

Dependent on where your 8 pin socket is on your motherboard and the VRM heatsinks as well depends on whether you can run push/pull or not on the rad at the top.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5012/40279343.jpg

In that picture it looks like it would fit a extra set of fans on it, but due to where the 8 pin connector is, the fan above it would break the connector off it.

Good luck though.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2013
    Si_the-dude likes this.
  10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I still prefer my old TJ07 as it can house so much!

240 rad in roof, 240 and 360 rad in bottom. Along with 3 pumps and 3 reservoirs. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[EDIT]

How about a Test bench? The DimasTech Easy Test Bench V2.5? it can house 2 360 rads on either side. Dead Beat has pictures of his.

Or my more extreme route, with my old setup with a 1080 rad bolted to the side? :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jan 2013
    Teelzebub likes this.
  11. Si_the-dude

True_Gamer you do actually have, or have had, the greatest gear in the world! Pure pr0n!! :D I don't think I've ever heard of someone putting 3 pumps and the 3 res's in a TJ07. LOL!!

12. Si_the-dude

This is really helpful thanks mate. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking - Elysium, 800D and the Switch. I just can't get away with the switch though. It's too much like an old tower from the 90s from the front, amazing as it is in terms of features. I really like the look of the Elsyium and when I was feeling SHAMEFULLY lazy I considered picking up one of the pre water-cooled versions available at OCUK. I'm going to order an Obsidian 800D and the EK based kit!

13. Si_the-dude

Well guys I did it. I went for an 800d along with an EK setup comprising of the Supremacy Elite, their pump/res bay combo and a 360mm Coolstream. I know there have been issues with nickel but what the hey. The new design has really grown on me despite initial doubts about the crop circles! I picked up the 2350 RPM Corsair SP120's to go with it as I don't really mind my computer sounding like an Airbus A380!! HOPEFULLY, the Saturday delivery will come through for me despite 'EXTREME WEATHER WARNINGS' aka almost an inch of snow :wallbash:

14. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Good choice, the 800D is a beautiful case. The nickel blocks went through a bad spell a little while back, but the recent ones are fine. I've had nickel blocks on my 680's for best part of a year now and they have never given me any problems.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Make you put up a project log for us.

16. Si_the-dude

Pics will definitely be going up!

It'll help me to put into perspective why I'm eating budget beans on toast for the next 4 weeks too.

Thanks again for the advice guys, much appreciated!

17. Si_the-dude

Well, everything arrived yesterday, including a Corsair box big enough that the Mrs could fit inside it! :D I had a couple of beefs - most notably OCUK sending me 8 compression fittings, 3 of which were the correct size and 5 of which were a mystery size. I wasn't able to finish the loop but have made a great start. 3 were 13mm and the other 5 were visibly slightly smaller, but not 10mm - somewhere in between. I also travelled far and wide to pick up some distilled water to clean out the rad and spent a good 40 minutes doing so before reading the box to find 'Product comes ready to use, no need to wash'. Hahaha. Whaaat a day. Lots of photos to follow :D