1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What I want to see from next-gen motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 May 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

BIOS update over Ethernet. Oh and more RGB obviously :rollingeyes:

adidan likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

USB 3.1 headers on AMD motherboards, even on mATX ones!

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

mATX x570 boards.

IanW likes this.
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

>1Gbit, especially mITX

6. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

2 x M.2 NVMe slots that would allow me to use 2 x M.2 drives running at 3500MB/s read and 2100MB/s (ish) write speeds would be lovely!

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Bios flashback is a good one brought a board back from the dead with that, CMOS reset on IO panel or even a 5.25 panel with it in along with USB ports SD card slots and perhaps wifi/bt antennas such that they are not at the rear of a machine which is placed up against a wall. I know these can often have wires for location but I would rather it was in my machine. M2 slots that run perpendicular to the motherboard such that you can have many and run a fan on them rather than bother with heatsinks, case fan would probably be sufficient.

On laptops front, chipsets that support a high speed external gpu connection such that you can run proper cards with proper speed unlike current TB connections. The old MXM idea had the right idea, just poorly implemented and poorly supported.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Decimate the absurd quantity of ATX models in favour of more ITX and MATX ones, seriously how many people actually need 5+ bloody pci-e slots that don't work "properly" any way?

The_Crapman, Corky42, gosh and 4 others like this.
  9. gosh

gosh Minimodder

would have to agree, i'd much prefer more choice in small form motherboards and cases (and PSU's !)

10. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

And which don't need me to disable multiple internal SATA ports, in order to run them at full speed (I can dream).

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

All my pci-e slots work perfectly fine thank you very much, as do all my NVMe drives :p x399 Cheesecake :D

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Especially a short cable option on the PSU front, Corsair for example is happy to take our money for differently coloured cables, but an extra short set to make cable management in a small case easier? No dice.

Nothing wrong with keeping ATX / EATX as the norm on HEDT boards, but for the mainstream platforms? Two three ATX models per brand would be perfectly sufficient and then make the rest smaller.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Stop being so ****ing stingy with the USB ports.

Impatience likes this.
  14. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Full IPMI on separate Ethernet port, hell, make it unlockable addon if you must, but just give me an option for it.
    Also, make everything that is now done by some custom software that becomes unsupported half a year later accessible over web interface (extention to ipmi?) or make that software opensource.
    RS232 header

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

As the article said, integrated I/O shields are a great idea.

Better consideration of cabling when placing ports, sockets and headers on motherboards, some choices are really stupid.

2 x M.2 slots are a good thing, especially for small form factor builds, I just wish manufacturers wouldn't put those crappy stickers on the M.2 NAND chips, reducing the effectiveness of M.2 heatsinks.

And as may have been mentioned, LESS RGB mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble, old fart moaning.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Silverstone have previously done short cable sets for their PSUs.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Personally.. I don't care for the flashy **** like RGB or fancy looking heatsinks.

I want something where function takes precedence over form for a price that doesn't make backdoors pucker and wallets need intravenous cash feeds to not crumble to dust.

Also, if it could be all one colour that'd be great. Barring the exception, of course, for silver components like shielding and heatsinks. Maybe three if the heatsinks have some fancy schmancy heat pipes.

Give me more USB, more M.2, and less dumbass "special" features. My board has a special "DAC" usb port - But it functions like any other usb 2 port except its at a jaunty angle (compared to the rest) and is only singular.

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A new feature I'd really like to see is to move ancillary voltage generation onto the motherboard. +3.3v, +5v, -5v and -12v draw negligible amounts of power (if any!) in a modern rig, but make up the bulk of of the ATX connector and wiring. Move to 12V & GND internal wiring only, and add a simple header converter to the box (like when the ATX connector was extended from 20 to 24 pins) to enable use of existing PSUs for backwards compatibility.A single connector block half the size of the current ATX connector would provide the same 12V as a full ATX and EPS12V 8-pin combined! And if it allows for the move away from Mini-fit Jr things could get even more compact than that.
    This clears the way for vastly reduced cable clutter, and lays the groundwork for centralised power plane distribution from the motherboard (e.g. combining 12V feed and SATA lanes to drives).

The other would be the return of in-OS BIOS/UEFI settings adjustments, which I haven't seen since before the switch to UEFI. On-the-fly adjustments can be made in real-time (e.g. fan curves), next-boot adjustments made to a secondary BIOS chip that is updated, and then swapped to on the next boot. Avoids the need to hammer a key on boot or to boot into an OS in order to trigger a reboot to the UEFI firmware (in cases where USB2 has finally been diked out).

Have we been using the same UEFI!? Universally it's garbage blingy fancy twiddly UI bits with a tiny amount of functionality crammed in-between the greebles, reminiscent of the most awful of tacky 'fan control' UIs bundled as part of motherboard bloatware. There is no universality as there was with most graphitext BIOSes (headings across the top, selections running down vertically, function name on the left and options on the right) and every vendor has a different random theme hiding features in different bits of the screen (or just forgetting to expose them at all). There is no familiarity, every manufacturer (and often different boards from the same manufacturer) has a new blinged-up UI you need to fight your way through to get anything done.

m.2 heatsinks can also DIAF - in the most ironic manner possible - they are as functionally pointless as ramsinks: even in artificial benchmarks you need to sustain reads or writes continuously at maximum rates for over 100GB before you can even measure throttling. They serve as cosmetics only, and otherwise just get in the way of component fit. And the worst offenders use the heatsink as part of the mounting mechanism, preventing you of getting rid of the cruft: NO, BAD MOBO MAKER, DON'T CHEW THE SOFA DON'T MAKE COSMETICS NONREMOVABLE.

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Always keen to see more matx/itx options, haven't had a full size board in my daily for 5+ years now I think, and even my work pc at home is matx

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I guess there could be an argument for cooling the controller but the memory chips themselves, don't they like to heat and cool? (i'm asking myself that question).

But that's an m.2 manufacturer issue rather than a mobo makers I guess.

Agreed, non-removable cosmetics - no.

Tags: Add Tags