1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lenovo shows off foldable-display laptop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 14 May 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Technically very cool, but like with every previous lets-replace-the-keyboard-with-a-screen laptop (e.g. Acer Iconia, Toshiba Libretto, etc) there are two big problems: touchscreens make for $#!% replacements for an actual keyboard, and that there's just not much use for a second screen that's obscured by your hands most of the time.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

An overengineered solution in search of a problem...

Reminds me of all the dumb pop up selfie cameras in phones.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah. Nah. Not for me.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Now, a 15 inch laptop, with fairly hefty cooling, a laminated 1440p lower screen and Wacom pen support would be the stuff of my dreams. Lenovo got awfully close with the Yoga book thing, but the fashion for thinness Über Alles hamstrings these devices. Just like the Surface studio looked fantastic on paper, but the emphasis on style left it too weedy to actually use as a work device.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This. Lenovo expecting people to seamlessly switch between typing up an email, then folding it flat to watch a movie on a train? Because that's not how this crap works - you type up an email, then spend 5 minutes cleaning your greaseprints off half the screen, then struggle to find a space big enough to comfortably fit a small TV sized screen without getting all kinds of looks.

Guessing folding things is just going to be the new tech craze for a while.

adidan likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I still just want a bog-standard single-screen laptop, *but* the screen is either E-Ink (and thus I get ALL THE BATTERY LIFE) or some modernised version of that transreflective thing they built for the One Laptop Per Child project where it's a normal screen when the backlight's on or a slightly-lower-resolution but fully-readable screen when you're in sunlight and the backlight's off.

8. adidan

Now I would be interested in a self cleaning screen.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

10. adidan

13.3" inch folding down to 9.7" - tbh i'd rather just carry about a lighter 10" tablet but that's my useage.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

E-Ink is still slow as hell, though. If you're willing to go that far down, a reflective grayscale LCD would get you most of the way there.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For 90% of what I do work-wise, excluding image editing, it'd be fine - I've an E-Ink tablet I use for a bunch of stuff. I'd use it for more, but it's Android 4.0 or something and very little software works on it any more...

13. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

That is fair. Always wished that e-Ink would get faster and cheaper, because it is really nice when you're working within the limits of the display.

Old Android is definitely a problem with those devices. I recently booted my 4.whatever device up, and it was not a pleasant experience.
    Except for reading, which was a treat. I just couldn't get new files into it without invoking the dreaded SD card reader(I've never been so thankful for a card slot).

There's some tablets based on Android 6.0 now, but... that isn't exactly new either(and is apparently the last version of Android to support e-Ink at all).

Tags: Add Tags