1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Hate for the Epic Store is out of proportion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Jul 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wasn't some of the EGS hate down to some reddit rando more or less going 'i don;t know how software works, therefore tencent/china must be spying on me'

MLyons likes this.
  3. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

There's a lot to unpack about how reactionary the loud, self-professed "hardcore" subset of the gaming community is.

Whenever they're getting their knickers in a twist about some new irrelevant issue I can only think of this:

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  4. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Completely agree with the article. I'm happy to give them a chance and it makes no sense to cry bloody murder and throw your toys everywhere. There's 50 apps for everything these days - it's hardly the straw that broke the camels back.

5. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Agree that the epic store hate is a bit much but that said it does deserve some hate, and some of your points don't really pan out:

" weird combination of wanting to have your games all in one place" - this is not weird, this is just a nice simple life. I have one place I've got to setup credit cards and so on to pay for stuff. I have one program to start to play games. When I build a new PC I want to have to just install 1 app and I have access to all my games. That's how it works on my phone (play store). Why would I want to have to keep up to date with 10 different programs to play all my stuff?

You also miss out on the important community aspect. If me and my friends are all on steam then I can quickly find them, talk to them, invite them to my game. It's simple and it works. If we are all using different stores then we can't do that as easily. Bottom line is steam mostly works really well.

The valid complaint about the EPIC store is their exclusives - sell the game on Steam and EPIC and we'd all be quite happy. If EPIC want sales then they can sell it cheaper than on steam. That would be fine but paying the developer so it's only sold on EPIC sucks. That's is a perfectly valid reason for hate. Give me the choice and I will like you, take my choice away and I'm going to be pissed.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I've never understood that argument...

If devs wanted to ditch Steam they've always had that option available to them, be it now (gog, itch etc) or in the distant past (remember direct 2 drive? lol) or their own store fronts, so why is all the games media pretending that the Epic store is "more valid" competition for Steam than others?

Nestea_Zen and rpsgc like this.
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So do I: it's called the OS.
    Steam does not get the privilege of auto-launching on startup - nor do I bother to load some company's glorified web-browser (because a decade and a half in, and the Steam store itself is still just a box with a web browser in it) in order to launch programs already installed on my PC - nor does any other store; for the same reason I would not accept needing to visit Sainsburys every morning before I can put the bread that I own in the toaster in my house. The entire concept of needing to open someone's shop before launching programs you've already bought, paid for, received and installed is utterly ludicrous, but Steam has trained a generation of users that they must jump through that pointless hoop to access their games.

Because you have two revenue streams on PC:
    - 90% Steam
    - 10% Absolutely anywhere else
    Epic are offering devs a wad of cash to go "here's the 90% you're potentially missing out on if our store flops". And devs are hardly sad to see the back of Steam as soon as they have any other option available that still allows them to pay for food & rent.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Surely competition in the marketplace is a good thing?

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Epic have every right to build/expand their store. No argument here.

However, I am more than happy to have my games library in one place, and that place is Steam. Not because Steam is better than Epic, Origin, Uplay or whatever else there is. It was just first. I have maybe half a dozen games on my Origin account, which may as well be dead because I never have the launcher installed. I don't want yet another launcher, I just want my games accessible via my preffered launcher. Jeez, I've given away games because I didn't want to install Uplay.

So, I am rightly pissed off that Epic put a crimp on Metro Exodus for me. It isn't the end of the world - I'm more than capable of waiting until next year to add it to my Steam account - I'm just ****ing annoyed that the choice was taken away from me.

It's not just Epic that get hate though. I voiced the same opinion elsewhere are got slammed as a blinkered Steam sheep.

What the numpties couldn't get their tiny minds around is that IDGAF where my games library is, I just want it all in one place. Steam beat the others to the punch and, as yet, they haven't ****ed me over, so it works.

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

It's good that EPIC is offering devs more and supporting indie games. I don't really think that steam needs much competition as it is the games that are competing with each other. When is the last time you heard anyone argue that google play or the Apple app store need competition on their perspective devices?
    Unfortunately, the EPIC store is a half-baked piece of crap that is anaemic of features. The store design is not suitable for an expansive library and it's missing a shopping basket.
    I have some games from the EPIC store because they were exclusive, cheaper or free and it works as DRM/ game launcher but it is not my first choice.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It already is. It's on your PC.

Hell, if you really want to launch a program before you launch another program, you can just use the Epic store (or GoG, or Humble, or itch.io, or a direct download from the developer, or whatever) to download the game, and then stick the shortcuts in your Steam library so you don't have to touch any nasty Epic cooties.

I guess we don't need multiple supermarkets competing with each other, the products themselves compete, right?
    Often. For years. There is an active antitrust case about that right now.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

I was referring to consumer demand. it would be good if the stores give developers a larger share.

13. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

+1 to that, I don't want to browse other games or faff about when all I'm trying to do is start my game.
    A simple shortcut or even start menu option to a folder with shortcuts if you like your desktop clean, is all I need.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

TBH I never notice Steam. Right click, open games, click game (and often have steam offline anyway).

Edit: Will I use Epic? Probably not, i keep myself out of cycle so i don't usually buy on release anyway.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If devs refuse to put their games on stores like itch.io in the first place then that is indeed how it ends up, self fulfilling prophecy and all that.
    But why perpetuate that cycle by pretending that even more stores are the solution? Why is making proper use of the long running steam alternatives so bad? Again, self fulfilling yadda yadda.

Nestea_Zen likes this.
  16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Personally, I prefer Steam over other platforms for one simple reason: Linux.

Nestea_Zen, dark_avenger and Omnislip like this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

JFC is this still a thing?

People need something more to worry about than a company making games cheaper ffs.

18. gosh

gosh Minimodder

i installed steam when i got a free copy of half life 2 with a graphics card and by gods it was a dog. got more than 600 games on it since then thanks to the halcyon days of steam sales and humble bundles but don't think i've bought something directly from them in years - green man gaming usually has better sales and good old games has a better ecosystem plus (mainly) they don't seem to give a toss if i buy a game through a russian vpn for half the price (which has led to me buying more niche games and dlc TBH).

steam may be the thing every pc gamer has installed but other than your historical library/saves and friends list it doesn't seem to have much to recommend it. quite frankly i wish epic well but till i upgrade my pc i'm playing indies/low spec f2p/strategy games on pc and newer games on my ps4 - gog galaxy is my usual platform but i must get around to grabbing some of those epic freebies (like origin store used to give out)

silk186 likes this.
  19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Of course it is still a thing, because some of us actually realise that the games industry is repeating the same mistakes as they made with Steam.
    How do you think Steam got into a position of near absolute power in PC gaming? Devs got greedy and put all their games on Steam (and almost nowhere else) and in the process of doing so created the very monster they are now moaning about.

Replacing one monster (Steam) by creating another (Epic) won't achieve diddly squat in the long run.

Cheaper games? Can I have what you are smoking, no dev has so far been willing to pass on the savings to the consumer (in fact several devs have thrown a tantrum when Epic paid for discounts out of their own pocket).

Offering games in all stores on all platforms (And let competition sort out the rest) is the only way out of the mess.

Nestea_Zen likes this.
  20. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I agree. I had to block the gaming agitators on youtube exploiting the outrage for clicks and views. Outraged people swarm around Epic stories like flies around honey. Same for Bethesda, another target. I know Fallout 76 is a disappointment but the level of hate they get is over the top.

Tags: Add Tags