1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD CEO confirms CrossFire 'isn't a significant focus'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Aug 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've never tried SLi nor Crossfire, always just got the best single card for the money i was willing to spend.

Does this mean some motherboards larger than itx will revert to 1 pci-e x16 slot or will they continue with extra for other use case scenarios?

3. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Ive used both a fair bit, when they work it's great and I've found they work more often than not.

I found Crossfire to be more reliable and my experience it worked most of the time, my last SLi setup (dual 1080's) was a bit of a pain. There was also a know issue when you use nvidia surround with a fourth display or HMD that causes a BSOD. Despite about 100 pages on the forum it's a bug thats still not been fixed by nVidia weirdly it doesn't happen if you use the old type SLi bridges.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As Ashes of the Benchmark proves we are well beyond needing Crossfire or SLI, just a case of games catching up to DX12.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I guess that pours cold water on my thought that the increased bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 could be put to better use than simply faster storage.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I loved my Nvidia 970 SLi setup back in the day, when it was supported in games, I never had any problems with it at all...It let me run The Witcher 3 at 4K, 30fps back in 2016, looked lush on my 1080p monitor via Nvidia DSR.

Shame its going the way of the dodo..

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Most will likely keep the current slot configuration in the round as it offers more flexibility (you can run a x1 or x4 card in a x16 slot etc).

SLI (NVlink) still works in certain current games and works fine in older games so there is probably still a market for multi GPU albeit a (very?) niche one. I imagine there is also a market for

It's interesting actually as the 690 is noticeably faster than the HD7990 in Destiny 2 despite the latter being the faster card back in the day - this is mostly down to SLI actually scaling at 75% vs CF at ~ 50%. The dedicated frame pacing hardware on the former is also VERY noticeable. If only it had more than 2GB of VRAM..

Tags: Add Tags