1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs AMD's supply issues could undermine the success of Ryzen 9 CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Oct 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Methanoid

Methanoid What's a Dremel?

Yup. with 3900x list price of £479 and scalpers selling it for £579-679 I cannot see the 3950x helping matters. AMD seriously understocked and will lose sales.

My 2700x died suddenly... I dont want a 3700x I want a 3900x but I refuse to be scalped... Sort it out AMD!

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd imagine they are selling all they have to high margin server market and desktop which is quite small and unimportant really is getting the scraps.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Doubt it: server's a tiny slice of both Intel and AMD's revenue. The money's made in high-volume mainstream; server's where you build the expensive new technologies that'll be in next-(next-next-next-next) year's desktop chips.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sure, but the money is in high volume desktop is not the high end chips, the good dies for these would be also good for EPYC which have better margin, the chiplets with dodgy ccXs etc. will be punted off in the low to mid range high volume parts (36/3700) that people have no trouble buying and will be where AMD make there money in the desktop arena.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

"Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it."

Not that I'm pleased with increased prices or low supply.

7. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I would have thought what this is really going to effect is lower end chips - e.g. mid range gpu's. Anything with lower margins and required larger quantities doesn't sound so good when you have a supply problem like this.

Tags: Add Tags