1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews MSI Creator TRX40 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Dec 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Dec 2019
  2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Link broken...

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Even funnier when you consider the ~£430 MSI TRX40 Pro has 8

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Guest-44638 likes this.
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The trx40 motherboards look like cracking value compared to what is on offer for x570. I've not used a sata drive for years, nvme drives are cheap enough TR has all the lanes why would you mess about with sata.

The MSI quad expander seems overkill but the pissy little fan on my asus hyper m2 x16 cards are the most annoying noise in my system, the msi looks loads better, why would you need dimm m2 with that provided, it house 4, much better, do as I do populate with cheap 1 and 2tb drives and 4xraid, job done.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

But is it really that odd when there's 6 M.2 drives on offer as well as the 6 Sata ports?

I mean that's a pretty enormous scratch drive on the M.2 card and if you can't get enough storage on six Sata drives you probbaly need your own server, not another two Sata drives.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Esp if you're having to rely on and use [and find board space for] the... not great... ASMedia controller for those extra ports...

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yes.

While I personally don't need 6 or 8 sata ports I firmly believe that the top end board should never miss any feature that is present on lower end boards from the same brand and is the same platform.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

£600 for an MSI motherboard? Is this some kind of joke? I wouldn't trust them with a £100 motherboard, let alone this much. Thanks though, I needed a laugh.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Different companies do better on some chipsets and others on others.

I don"t think you can say oh x company is good across every chipset and y company is crap across all (i've been disappointed by Asus, Giga and MSI in the past)

Personally, on the B450 chipset i went for this time around there is no other board i would have than the MSI i have.

That said i've not looked at this TR batch of boards so wouldn't know specifically about it.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I've been running an MSI X399 Gaming Pro and really can't fault its stability, though it has not seen a BIOS update since TR2 released it has been rock solid, easy to tweak, I'd certainly buy another MSI, I like its basic look too, it does have RGB but I have never enabled it.

Some of the other companies like Asus and Asrock appear to offer more BIOS features for extracting every last ounce of performance if you have the time to tune and having tried an Asrock B450 for my daughters PC it seemed good I would try them next most likely but MSI would certainly be on my list too.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I have had poor experiences of MSI in the past, although aside from an absolutely attrocious slot layout the X399 Creation I use at work with a 2990WX has been a fairly well behaved board.

One question I keep meaning to ask:

Do any of these boards have enough room around the M.2 slots to fit some of the higher capacity jobs like the 3.84TB or 7.68TB Samsung PM983? They're 22110 form factor, which actually isn't the problem - the main issue is they're quite a bit wider than the "consumer" M.2 SSDs. Something like 32mm IIRC.

Ah, I just checked again on Scan - they used to describe it as M.2 form factor 22110. It's now described as M.3 "30110". But electrically it should be compatible. It just needs the width.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's 30.5cm that should fit fine in any 110 slot, certainly would on my x399, though I only have one 110 slot but there is at least 0.5cm either side of the 22.5mm m2 in there so enough clearance, pcie slots are standard I'm surprised the creation doesn't have space perhaps some of the addin cards would help, I know that you could fit two in a hyper m2, you would not be able to use the other slots though, maybe asrocks quad m2 board or the one with this board could?

Your creation addin is the same as the hyper m2 by the looks of it and would only take 2.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2019
    Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  14. Paradigm Shifter

Thanks, sandys, that's pretty much what I thought. It's basically "try it and see" on a per board basis.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Buildzoid has had a look through some boards if it's of any use to anyone.

Not had a look myself but I found his rundown on B450/470/570 boards useful.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

FYI, If you do a non standard load out of NVMe drives on the addin cards the PCIe debug light on the MSI will suggest it is not working (on my old board at least) but actually it is fine, all drives will work but debug light only seem to come on if you use the first 4 lanes of the slot.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  17. Paradigm Shifter

Good to know, thanks!

Tags: Add Tags