1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Can Cyberpunk 2077 finally drag immersive sims into the mainstream?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Jan 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Unfortunately, yes.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Unless there's a subtle distinction between an "immersive sim" and a common-or-garden "first-person RPG with open world exploration", then they're already thoroughly mainstream. Skyrim et. al. are a running joke with how many ports and rereleases there are.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

"immersive sim" feels like one of these computer games media buzzwords that doesn't really mean anything (or anything that isn't already covered by existing genre descriptions).

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Here I was thinking "immersive sim" related to games likes Euro Truck Simulator...

And no, Cyberpunk wont, because as edzieba has already said, every person and their dog has already played Skyrim (and to a lesser extent, Fallout).

6. perplekks45

I haven't played Skyrim, I haven't touched a Fallout game since the 2nd in the series. What did I miss?

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Skyrim was good, if rather repetitive. An evolution of Oblivion, though, so if you played that or Morrowind you basically know what to expect. The FPS Fallout games? I enjoyed 3 at the time, didn't really enjoy New Vegas at all and Fallout 4 was a slog for about 10 hours, then I started enjoying it, then it was a slog again and I lost interest.

Cyberpunk will be niche, I'm fairly sure. Unless CD Projekt through Call of Duty, FIFA or Halo-level advertising at it.

perplekks45 likes this.
  8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Loads of good fun, tbh.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Meme references, mostly.

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well, the way bit-tech writers use the term "immersive sim" it describes games like Thief, Deus Ex, Prey etc that sit somewhere between "consolified 3rd person action adventures with stealth elements" games and RPGs.

But, the idea that stuff like Deus Ex or Prey isn't already mainstream is utterly laughable.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Fallout 3 is a masterpiece.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, it really is excellent.

I know it's cool to hate on Bethesda games and they do have significant flaws, but I've had so, so many hours of enjoyment from FO3, NV, Oblivion and Skyrim.

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Give things a year and every other YouTube video is going to be a version of "but first, let me tell you about Raid: Cyberpunk Legends..."

14. perplekks45

As long as CD Projekt Red don't develop the Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer to be a Battle Royale.... :worried:

15. Almightyrastus

I don't mind that too much, I just won't play it (in fact I'll avoid it if the multi player is PvP, co-op is fine), I just hope that whatever they do with the multi player, it is completely an aside to the main single player game. In that you won't miss anything other than the multiplayer "experience" if you don't get involved with it - that was one of the the things that disappointed me with Mass Effect 3, the multiplayer was optional, but there were parts that you'd miss out on if you didn't get involved with it..

16. perplekks45

I completely understand what you're saying, but I just can't stand the idea of BR games invading my news feeds even more. :D

17. perplekks45

18. Almightyrastus

And so it begins... :hehe::hehe:

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The risk of that is zero.

From the promo footage it is clear that they are going for a "cluttered city" aesthetic, which would provide far too many hiding places so if you tried to do "Death match with respawns turned off" each match would drag on far too long for such a game mode to be viable.

20. perplekks45

When Valve released "CS:GO teh best BR experience 4 real!!!!11111oneeleven" something in me died. I wouldn't be surprised by any daft move from a game dev in regards to pushing a mod into a game with no sense behind the move whatsoever.

Tags: Add Tags